Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Some Help...Haven't gotten any yet!

• Please log in to reply

Duckies

Duckies

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok, I will try to do this coherently and see if you will help please!

We had a Presario 5838 running winXP and a Dell optiplex GX150 running winXP. We are now building a new computer from scratch with a new motherboard and 250GB hard drive. My wife will be getting the optiplex and we would like to take the hard drive from her 5838 and put it in the optiplex. However, when we do that it does not run the system. I realize that if I were to reformat and such it would work. Inside the optiplex is the original seagate hard drive that was running the winXP that I want to run on my new computer. Therefore, having the hard drive and the 250GB hard drive as storage in the new computer. So, I guess the question is....How do we take the hard drives from a machine and get it to work in the new computer of choice or the new computer we are building keeping all the programs and files intact?

Any help and step by step would be absolutely helpful!

Thanks.

Edited by Duckies, 27 March 2006 - 03:40 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
since you're using xp..you cannot transfer the HD to another platform...it just won't work...xp will not boot as it's tied to the motherboard it was installed on...you could hook the old drive up as a slave and transfer all of your files and documents..but you'd have to reinstall all of the software on the new machine..

Duckies

Duckies

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yep...That will work!

Thanks.