Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How many running processes is ok?

• Please log in to reply

johnny boy

johnny boy

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
When i first restart my computer...i have 47 running processes...its only 256 Mb of ram..but our cousins Computer only has 256 Mb but when he starts it up he only has 37 running procceses and his co puter takes way less time to boot up...any way i can stop some processes from botting up on restart? so that it will speed the Computer up?

Advertisements

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
do i need to show u a list of my processes? if so..how would i get a list of them?

RiP

RiP

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 8,430 posts
Please attach a Hijackthis log in your next reply to this topic as an attachment.

Please go here and scroll down to: Step Five: Posting a Hijack This Log. Follow the instructions provided there and post a Hijackthis log.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
post content removed

Edited by Kat, 27 March 2006 - 07:19 PM.

RiP

RiP

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 8,430 posts
Hello, johnny boy.

If you wish to speed up your computer and stop all of those processes from loading go ahead and put a check next to some or all of the programs listed below to stop them from running on startup.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe - Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If you want the Ctrl Alt F12 or similar keypresses to access Intel's customised graphics properties, you need it, otherwise not.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe - Checks with Sun's Java updates site to see if newer Java versions are available. Visit http://java.sun.com or just run the Java Plug-In Control Panel
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KBD] C:\HP\KBD\KBD.EXE - Multimedia keyboard manager. Required if you use the multimedia keys
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [High Definition Audio Property Page Shortcut] HDAudPropShortcut.exe - Realtek audio card related; probably adds the odd feature to one of the "Sounds" Control Panel applet tabs - doesn't appear to be required.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe - Quick access to the control panel via a System Tray icon for graphics based upon the Intel chipsets
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HostManager] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\1127509282\ee\AOLHostManager.exe - Manages a component essential to the operation of most current AOL software. If you remove it from startup it will load when IE is launched, increasing lauching time.
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe - Associated with "Nero Burning Rom" CD writing software. Checks for driver issues
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe" - HP software updates. If a shortcut doesn't exist, create your own and run it manually
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot - Application Scheduler installed along with RealOne_Player Once installed, it runs independently of RealOne Player.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe - CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. CTFMON.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. Not required if you don't need these features.
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background - Windows Messenger utility. If you don't use Windows Messenger, this can be annoying.
O4 - Global Startup: HP Image Zone Fast Start.lnk = C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe - Improves the startup time of HP Image Zone. If you disable it, HP Image Zone takes a long time to start up only the first time you run it. Subsequent startups are much faster than the first time
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE - The OSA9.exe file initializes the shared code that is used by the Office 2000 programs. The benefit of using the OSA9.exe file to initialize shared code is that the Office 2000 programs start faster. If the Office 2000 programs initialize shared code (instead of OSA9.exe), the time it takes for the program to start increases.

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HijackThis.

Reboot your computer and you should notice an increase in speed.

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
post content removed

Edited by Kat, 27 March 2006 - 07:20 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hello, Johnny_Boy. I will be taking over your thread from here. I hope you don't mind?! :whistling:

Are you having any issues still? If so, can you please let me know exactly what the problems are, so I can help you resolve them? I am going to remove the HJT logs from this thread, as they are not supposed to be posted in this forum. If I feel it's necessary, I'll move this thread to a different place after hearing back from you, and we'll work from there. :blink:

johnny boy

johnny boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Okay thats not a probelm...i wasnt sure if i was in the right thread anyway, well so far my running processes have been cut back from 47 to 37...which is good, but i stil ahve some questions about when i go to restart my computer....when i hit restart, some End programs pop up and close...and i do not know what they are because i never have any programs open when i hit restart........if i remembered what they were id tell you...but they pop up relatively quick and i dont get the chance to read it, so if you have any idea about what that is, i'd appreciate it.

THanx :whistling: