Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tv Tuner

• Please log in to reply

cheema

cheema

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I was looking to buy a tv tuner for my recently built pc. What things should I look for when buying a tv tuner? Is there a specific one that you would recommend. I was looking to maybe record tv. What software might I need? My friend said that I should look into getting windows xp media center if I want to record tv but i was wondering if I could stick to 64 bit windows and just get some software. My friend also said that I should look into getting a tv tuner that is capable of braodcasting hdtv because tv is soon going to be broadcasted in hd.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well this one seems alright it supports both digital and analogue tv aswell as HDTV

from tiger direct
http://www.tigerdire...0885&CatId=1427

you wont need any extra software it will come with the card
just make sure that you have pleanty of hardrive space if you want to record tv it will take up some space
troppo

Edited by troppo, 27 March 2006 - 04:52 AM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
yeahhhhhhhhhh i got the card u recommended and i am running 64 bit windows, which i forgot to tell you about, and it seems that this tv tuner card is only for windows xp. Please correct me if im wrong.

FuM

FuM

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Get windows xp service pack 2 32bit edition

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
ok first of all is there a reason why you are running 64 bit windows? besides having a 64 bit AMD proccesor!

if you are runnign a 32 bit procesoor then there is no reason to be running 32 bit

i'll try to look into it a bit more ive been a bit busy with school and stuff but i will see what i can dig up!!!

have you tried to install it yet? what type of motherboard do you have?

troppo

Edited by troppo, 30 March 2006 - 07:01 PM.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
i am running 64 bit windows cuz it came with the operating system cd that i bought from my school. I got 32 and 64 bit for 15 bucks. It was a deal. I have a msi k8n neo4 platinum non sli edition mobo. Plus, I was a little confused about the hookup. I installed the tv tuner but when i tried to install the driver i got a non-compatibility error. That is not what i am confused about though. I am confused because there was this wire that came with the tv tuner that i just bought that you recommended. This wire supposedly connected from the tv tuner to the sound card...I think. But this wire could go in either one way or rotated 180 degrees. I was really puzzled. Is it supposed to be like that?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well my suggestion would be to back up all of your important information and then install the 32 bit windows version

as you will probably no that windows 64 is optimized for 64 bit processors and not really necassary for 32 bit processors what type of proccesor do you have? AMD 64 or intel ?

as for the wire that you are talking about i dont no what you mean exactly do you have an inderpendant sound card or only the sound ffrom the motherboard?
troppo

p.s maybe a picture would help!

Edited by troppo, 31 March 2006 - 03:11 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
64 bit windows is non functional on 32bit processors. Have you read the manual that came with the card, if it was OEM and you didnt get one go the the manufacturers site and get the manual, i would try talking to there techsupprt they may have some 64 bit drivers, alot of companies are working on them but they are still in testing.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
i got the manual and even on the box it said for windows xp. I will try talking to their tech support. If this doesn't work out, are there are 64-bit compatible tv tuners that you guys would recommend?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Drivers are specific to the hardware involved you can only use the ones made specifically for that card, there isnt another you can use, unless the manufacturer can provide a 64 bit driver your only choice is either to return the card for a card with a 64 bit driver or switch to normal 32bit windows.

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
i have amd x2 4400+ processor, i have an xfi xtreme music sound card. So the tv tuner manual says that I should connect the tv tuner to either the onboard integrated mobo sound or a sound card if i have one. Since i have a sound card, i need to connect the tv tuner to the xfi. The plug that fits into both the sound card and the tv tuner can fit in either one way or rotated 180 degrees. Now my question is, does it matter which way i put it in? One side of the plug has two golden squares? By intuition, I am guessing those should face the card in which they are place?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well the only thing that i could suggest would be to try the plug if it doesnt work then reverse it

then if that doesnt work plug it into the onboard sound and see if that works

sorry i cant help much further without knowing exactly what the cable looks like maybe you will just have to do a little trial and error,
troppo

cheema

cheema

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
i just returned the tv tuner. Are there any tv tuners with x64 drivers that you would recommend?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well to tell you the truth i havent seen any i dont think,
but thast because i havent been looking lol

im sure there are some out there you might have to look around a bit,
goodluck sorry i couldnt help further,
troppo