Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardwares of Laptops installing in Desktop

• Please log in to reply

smak786110

smak786110

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi.
I wanted to know if it is possible to install Hard disk or ram or any other hardware from a Toshiba Pentium 3 laptop to a Pentium 4 intel motherboard desktop???

2) If I buy a another hard disk for my desktop computer....Will it fit on my current 40gb hard disk ??? Like will I be able to add on it without messing my current hard disk??? :whistling:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

The answer to the first part of your question, is no. The only exception is with the hard drive. You cannot connect a laptop drive straight to a desktop motherboard however, you can if you use either a converter or a caddy.

A convertor will allow you to connect the drive internally (i.e to the ribbon cable on the motherboards IDE controller). However, these can be a bit flakey, so I would recommend that you use a USB caddy instead, if you need to do this.

If you just want to gain more drive space though, you are better off buying a proper desktop drive (ie. 3.5inch instead of a laptop 2.5inch drive).

You can add a standard desktop drive to the existing drive simply by configuring the second drive as a slave & connecting it to the same ribbon cable as the first drive.

smak786110

smak786110

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok...thanks for your answer Samm :whistling:

willlock

willlock

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I bought a laptop to IDE hard drive adapter but it is not plug and play. You said they were flakey so I guess that is what I am experiencing but it is strange. I unhooked an extra internal hard drive and tried to connect the laptop hard drive to that but it will not work.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I used one of these in a desktop computer in a briefcase computer build i'm working on. Only thing that bothers me is the price almost doubles over using a regular desktop cd drive.

http://www.interlope...rch_str=bsearch

SRX660