Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Folder Problem

• Please log in to reply

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi GTG,

I have a problem with the "My Received Files" folder (This is the folder where all the received files from the MSN go). When I open the folder and it's view is "LIST" I have no problem but when it is "Thumbnail View" the computer freezes. I mean I can't click on the icons inside the folder and nothing works within the folder's window. To quit I have to end its process. Any help of what might be causing this problem will be appreciated.

PS: I don't think its a malware/spyware problem since yesterday with the help of a GTG member cleaned everthing.

Alan :whistling:

Advertisements

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
when i open "my documents" the folder stops responding and closes.
i have tried moving the contents to another part of the drive "c:\my documents" but the problem persists at the new location,leaving the original and now empty my documents folder working as normal. i have virus scanned,malwarescanned,error checked.
any ideas?

alandemartino

alandemartino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hi beautron,

I think I have a similar problem but with the folder "My Received Files". Can you open the files from their respective software. What I mean is, if you have a word document in your "My Documents" does it open if you first open the MS Word then go file > open > and seek the file (from "My Documents") from here?

Another thing, if you change the Folder View (Thumbnail/List/Details) does it still crash?

Alan

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
i tell ya. i can view,copy,delete etc all files in my documents when viewed from any programs open dialog box.so yes.my folder view for my documents is on "thumbnails" n i dont think i can change it.why do u say that.might it make a difference?

alandemartino

alandemartino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

i tell ya. i can view,copy,delete etc all files in my documents when viewed from any programs open dialog box.so yes.my folder view for my documents is on "thumbnails" n i dont think i can change it.why do u say that.might it make a difference?

In my case it makes a whole lot difference. When the view is on thumbnail the folder crashes but when it is on list everything is fine. I know it's weird but I asked you to see wheter we have the same problem (uptil now seems everything is the same), so if you get any chance in changing the view go ahead and try it. It might work.

Alan

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
you r a genius. worked a treat. i didnt think that by changing the view, in for example notepad, would change the view permanently for the folder specified...but oh joy it did. i reckon it might happen cause theres loo many thumbnails goin on at once. its possible. but its fixed now. thanks dude. i was gettin no replies on this n thought id killed a chunk of my registry r somethin (i have a tendancy to attack my registry only afterwards to do my research n find a cleaner solution to the problem :whistling:
cheers, micky b

alandemartino

alandemartino

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I'm glad you've managed :whistling:

Alan