Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't shut down because of wireless activity

• Please log in to reply

lhp

lhp

• PipPip
  • 76 posts
Has anyone ever heard of "Big Dick Halfway Inn" . This is one of the names on my Wireless Connections and I assure you that I don't have a wireless by that name. Has my wireless been hijacked?

I would not have noticed it except it is stopping my computer from shutting down until it has finished doing "whatever it is doing".

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i hesitantly googled "Big Dick's Halfway Inn" as that just sound's awefull (as i'm sure was their intent) and got that "Big Dicks Halfway Inn is a t-shirt and gift shop, located on the waters of Central Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks"...do you live in that vecinity?

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
We live in the Memphis Tennessee area which is not close but in the same "region". I can't imagine it would be close enough to hitch onto our wireless. You are right, it sounds aweful. Oddly enough if they had not used such ignorant lanuage, I would have never known they were there...since I am so computer challenged.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah..memphis is no where near close enough to be catching a wireless signal from there......hmmm

so when you open up your wireless connections and it searches for available networks....that one shows up in the list? are you actually connecting to it? (does it say connected next to the name?)

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
It is hit and miss. I just checked (and wouldn't you know) it isn't listed at this time. I don't remember it is said the word connected...but it showed several "bars" of strength at the time it is listed. Again, it is not listed all the time. I will keep checking for the word connected. I have emailed the establishment you mention in Missouri to see what the connection ( no pun intended) may be.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well....being in memphis...either they opened a location VERY close to your home....(which..honestly i think you'd know about)...or someone near your home found the name and thought it would be funny to name their network that...i'm gonna DOUBT that it's actually connectiong...or related to your problem at all...it's probably just coincidence...

the next time you have an issue at shutdown
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

lhp

lhp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
Will do ...thanks so much.