Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Best Backup System

• Please log in to reply

efjay1018

efjay1018

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello. I apologize if this post is not appropriate in this category. I just registered a few minutes ago.

I'm looking for a very good data backup system. What's a good backup system? Does a good backup system include both hardware and software components? Or is a good backup software enough to do the job?

Thank you very much in advance. :whistling:

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
what are you backing up? how many pc's and how much (size) is the data? If its a single computer then a one touch backup solution using an external hard drive is very nice.

efjay1018

efjay1018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

If its a single computer then a one touch backup solution using an external hard drive is very nice.

You're right starjax! Just for a single computer with a 40 GB hard drive. Can you expound on this further? Will an internal hard drive do the job? Do I need some special software and if I do, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
I recomend either a westerndigital or maxtor external hard drive.

read up on this article: http://www.tomshardw...mmings_aplenty/

efjay1018

efjay1018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
If I'm a little low on budget, could I opt for the internal hard drive setup just the same? Is it really imperative to implement the external option? Aside from installation issues, can you please give me other factors that would make the external hard drive a much more efficient choice? Thanks a lot! :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
2cts worth, here goes: There are various ways of backing up your system and for various reasons too. Ghosting is making an iso image of your system like a photo, which when needed can be used to replace your present system with this photo. Norton Ghost is good but one has to buy it, other are free and I will link later if you're interested, I think the ISO fits on a cd, but if not it fits a dvd. Advantage: cheap, safe, clear. but the disadvantage is what if you want you data now, then an ISO image doesn't help, so one thinks of ways to live copy stuff. Now, you may not need the whole computer backed up, besides you can't back up programs in this way, so then we are talking about the ways, of which a cheap but longish way would be burning your needed data(file, pictures, music, mails) to a couple of CDs, or one DVD, but the downside is the time it takes to burn them and the fact that they are fixed to the cd unable to adjust them, this is where those USB sticks come in handy because they are just external harddrives so to speak but they are limited in capacity, then comes those external harddrives which go right up to the capacity of most computers these day, of which either they are big size computer harddrives, or smaller laptop harddrives(eitherway, they are just comp harddrives in an external box) of which the smaller laptop external drives run on the power from the USB lead whereas the bigger desktop harddrives run on mains power, anyway their advantage is the ease with which one can transfer large amounts of data from one comp to another without all that burning(fixing) and then there is your idea of putting in an extra harddrive and storing stuff on it but then to be safe you would have to take it out of the comp and fit it back each time you wanted to change data on it.

Still reading? Ok so with all those options, I would ghost your system as a backup, I would then burn all the not so frequently needed stuff on CDs and finally go for a small extenal harddrive box any laptop harddrive of your choice inside, why/because all harddrives and pendrives have the weekness of moving parts which is bad and yet often enough some old recyclable harddrives turns up when someones computer screens dies as no one is willing to pay for a new screen these days(buy it as scrap, unsrew the laptop, there's your new harddrive), I have three harddrives now, 4gb 40gb and 80gb of which I only bought three boxes and one 80gb drive.

Sorry writer's cramp and sleep stop me from explaining more but I hope this has been of some help then.

Edited by fleamailman, 29 March 2006 - 05:00 AM.

efjay1018

efjay1018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Now, you may not need the whole computer backed up, besides you can't back up programs in this way,

Correct me if I'm wrong. It's possible to back up an entire personal computer system, right? What do you mean "you can't back up programs in this way?" Thanks!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
ghost takes creates an "image" or a compressed file with all of your data. It has the ability to burn directly to cd. Its not hard to use, but takes a certain level of computer knowledge to make sure it works to its best ability.

another cheap option is to use another hdd and backup your data to it.

so what would I use:

1)not the cheapest, but the external hdd with one touch backup is the best option
2)getting another hdd and ghost your data from one drive to another and then put that hdd someplace safe
3)backup the essential items (email, photos, music, ect) with a cd burner.
4)burn a ghost image to cd
5)

there are a lot of options. its up to you to way the expense and ease of use. none of them are perfect. all of them have a pretty good track record.

we could even go into the methods of just backing up your profile (personality) with usmt, but you probably should start with a basic solution and go from there.

efjay1018

efjay1018

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

there are a lot of options. its up to you to way the expense and ease of use. none of them are perfect. all of them have a pretty good track record.

I see. I believe you have provided me enough information on how I could best back up my system. Thanks for all your inputs! I appreciate it. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
just to answer your questioin for others to follow most programs will not allow themselves to be backed up to another system, it would be piracy to do so, so for example you cannot transfer the Office or Excal programs to an external drive though you can store word and excel files to an external drive. good luck then.

Edited by fleamailman, 29 March 2006 - 05:07 AM.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
Flea.... there your wrong and right. the backup software that comes with the external drives.... the "one touch backup" allows you to do a full backup or a defined backup. defined as in you tell it exactly what you want to backup

Maxtor One Touch II External Hard Drive - Page 1
External Backup Solution with Powerful Capabilities

In the last few years, hard drive manufacturers have had to come up with ingenious ways and incorporate more and more features in order to make a "difference" in the market. One of the giants in hard drives is Maxtor, the company that pioneered the revolutionary "push-button" approach to data storage backup.

The company has developed an interesting feature designed to let computer users back up their files and folders with just the touch of a button. And while it sounds easy to use, it's also just as easy to setup. The One Touch II is the newest addition to Maxtor's very good, external drive family.

- WHAT it is and HOW it works

The One Touch Backup system was originally developed at Quantum laboratories, before that company was acquired by Maxtor in early 2001. Maxtor simply had to improve the system before releasing it onto the market.

The process starts when the user presses the button on the One Touch external drive, initiating the backup process. It's simply the fastest way possible to perform a backup, faster than CD or a removable cartridge system and certainly faster than floppies. Backup and Restore is handled exclusively by Daunt Retrospect software.

- Simplicity

Throughout the entire backup or restore process, you won't find any complex menus or commands and there's no need for any technical knowledge in order to set up and use the Maxtor One Touch II drive. Even installation of the One Touch software is a matter of a few clicks with the mouse and some simple questions such as the user's name and preferred language.

By leaving everything to default settings, Retrospect backs up everything on the local drives, including Internet favorites, address books, my documents folders, outlook express mail folders, operating system folders, applications, etc.

Retrospect allows for two modes of backup called Comprehensive and Duplicate. The backup files created by Retrospect when doing Comprehensive backups are compressed automatically and their format is such that they are not accessible directly. Only with Retrospect can the administrator of the PC access all the backed up files and restore any particular file or files back to the PC. Comprehensive backup creates restore points so that the user can for example create a backup for each day of the week rather than simply overwriting the previous backup.

With Duplicate backups, older saved files are overwritten with newer versions.

Retrospect also includes a disk self management facility that makes best possible use of available disk space on the the Maxtor One Touch, erasing any unnecessary files and always keeping free space at a maximum.

The Maxtor One Touch drive - just press the button and your files are backed up in one, simple step. It's simply the fastest backup.

full article here: http://www.cdrinfo.c...ArticleId=13587

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Thanks starjax, I like being in the wrong as it means someone like you will teach me something great like what I have just read from your post, thks. The question of whether programs could be transfered this way I think we should skip here, sigh.