Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows ME "Auto Click" Problem

• Please log in to reply

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Hello all,

I have recently completely reloaded windows me onto a friends old packard bell. After doing this, I had obviously given the computer back with F-Secure antivirus, and Office 2000, apart from that, a clean install. When I have given it back to them, they installed a wireless usb adapter, which they had in it previously before me fixing it. Everything on this computer was working fine for a few days until I recieved a phone call about a problem with it, the youngest child was trying to do his project on MS Word 2000 until he found the page was scrolling downwards, and anything he went to click ould keep opening. They told me they could click on the start menu, and afterwards it opening and closing lots of times. They have also tried single left clicking a program in the background and the program has repeatedly opened. I was completely puzzled at this and wondered what the problem was.

I doubt this could be spyware or a virus, as it has F Secure 2006 running on it, the next thing I suspected was maybe that the keyboard or mouse was doing this, so I told them to unplug the keyboard then try again, still the same problem. Then told them to remove the mouse, then try with just the keyboard, same again.

I need to know if in ME it has the menu you can use by continuously tapping F8, as you can in XP, then I can see if the problem occurs in safe mode, and if not, I could restore the system to an earlier date.

Really need help with this, any help is greatly appreciated,

Sam.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
He says when he taps the f8 key before the windows me splash screen he gets no boot menu, should he be getting one?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
there may be a key stuck on his keyboard....

i've had a similar issue happen with the shift key getting stuck....anything i clicked would get highlighted...and if i dragged the mouse across the screen everything would highlight....or if i clicked an icon in the top left corner then clicked another icon on the screen everything in between would highlight...

his keyboard may have an F-LOCK key to turn on the function buttons...but probably not on a laptop...if he has a stuck key..it would cause a keyboard fault on boot which would effectively disable the keyboard during boot which may account for the inability to access the boot menu

SuperSam

SuperSam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Don't worry, it was something to do with a device he had at home. He has brung it round to my house and there is no problem. Whilst it is here, I am upgrading it to XP. Thanks for helping Dsenette.