Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive clogged

• Please log in to reply

lostinalostland

lostinalostland

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have about 55 GB hard drive, most of it (about 85%) is clogged with files which according to the defrag report range in size from 100+MB progressively up to 7+GB. All of the file names shown on the defrag report begin the same: \Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS\FP00...

This is all of the name it gives. When I do a search for the files it responds with a msg box saying that it is not a valid file name (no matter whether I use the whole name of any part of the name--same response.)

I need to know how to get rid of these and how to prevent this from happening again. This is my brothers laptop, it is never hooked to a printer. It was originally owned by his boss (her daughter actually) and this may have been in place when he got it. But due to that I don't have the original disks. If I have to format I will have to load Win98SE onto it, which is no prob as it is a good OS but would rather have solution to problem and not have to do format.

If you don't know the answer please don't guess on this one. If you do then please explain thoroughly the steps I need to take. I am only a geeklett in training.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Run this and let us know, you can borrow a same version as was originally installed XP CD to repair most things

Click start then all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then also from system tools, run disc defragmenter

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, (all files will highlight), right click any file, click delete, confirm then reboot.

Download, install and run
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up disc clean up

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

lostinalostland

lostinalostland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Keith,
Thanks for the reply. I tried to do that but when I did the prefetch thing the files showing were not the ones identified by the defrag report that I referenced in my original post. I rested the cursor on each icon that came up in the prefetch to see if they were the size files (maybe showing a different label somehow) that I was looking for but nothing was even close. The files labeled:
\Windows\system32\spool\PRINTERS\FP00...
are all large. In order they are listed as being 87MB, 108MB, 165MB, 182MB, 242MB, 358MB, 499MB, 637MB, 675MB, 772MB, 774MB, 803MB, 919MB, 1021MB, 1.11GB, 1.20GB, 1.26GB, 1.66GB, 1.77GB, 2.07GB, 5.32GB, 5.49GB, 5.50GB, 5.70GB, 6.69GB, 6.75GB, 6.80GB. 7.04GB, 7.19GB.

Should I go on to the utility you mentioned or do I need to get rid of these monsters first???????

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can clear prefetch, it will repopulate as and when required, run tune up

lostinalostland

lostinalostland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Keith,
I did everything you said, wrote it all down so as to not miss a step. Only change is that I now have only 10% free space. All those nasty globby hard drive hogging sob's are still there.

What now??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Mine is empty

Can you right click the smallest one, click delete, leave it in the recycle bin, reboot, check the PC runs properly

lostinalostland

lostinalostland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When you say "Mine is empty" I assume you mean the prefetch...if so mine is too BUT as I said earlier they did not show up there. The only place I get them is on the defrag report...listed as files that could not be defragged. When you right click on them there you only get the "What's This" box. If I could delet them from there would have been done long before I came looking for help.

That is the crux of my problem...finding the files listed anywhere that I can get to them to delete them. I have a shredder to run them through if I can just get my cursor on them in the first place. This is maddening!!!

Well, frustrating at the least.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start, click my computer, click C, local disc, click windows, click system32 folder, click spool, click printers

This is mine, with 6 printers installed

[attachment=7570:attachment]

lostinalostland

lostinalostland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Eureka!! There the little buggers are. I have them all running through the shredder right now. Another 30 GB or so and I think my sanity will be restored--along with the use of the hard drive. Thanks. I'll post back and let you know how it comes out--looks like it will still be a while though.

Any thoughts on how this happened and how to avoid it in the future?
Or do we have to just continue doing this periodically?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Seems pretty unique, with some of the sizes it must have spooled DVD's

At least you know where to look if the drive space shrinks, maybe tune up will keep on top of it, did it report many errors?

lostinalostland

lostinalostland

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was able to shred all those files, finished about 2:00am EST. But I now have 51.8GB free space out of 55GB total. So thanks a bunch. If it was DVD's it was the original owner as brother (current owner) has never used it for anything like that. The progressive nature of the size of the files made me wonder if it was repeating something and increasing with each new cycle.

Tune-up found only a few minor errors.
I've also run AVG and Spy-bot S&D and they came up clean.
Hopefully this will not happen again but at least now I will be able to get to the files and shred them if it should.
I can't thank you enough for your help!!!!!!!
Robert

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know