Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN Messenger problems

• Please log in to reply

clareb2005

clareb2005

• PipPip
  • 96 posts

I'm connected to the Internet via a proxy connection through my university's network. I have two problems:

- When I connect to messenger, I can't have a conversation with anyone as after two minutes, when I try to send an IM the message returns saying messenger was unable to deliver the message. I've tried using web messenger which is a little better but I lose the connection after about 10-15 mins and I have to sign in again.

- Since I set up Internet connection in September I've not been able to use webcam, it just won't connect at all. This is with all messenger programs I've tried (yahoo, AOL, MSN)

I've tried asking the university's technical helpdesk for advice but...

Technical Help Team: We don't deal with instant messaging related queries

:blink: :whistling:

Advertisements

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
because you are going through your proxy the univerty can control alot of what you do. unfortunely i am not at liberty to tell you how to get around the proxy. from what you have said it appears that your universty is blocking mesngers and some other things, if this is the case i can not help you, if it is not then well right back and i can help you.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
its common for universities to block webcam functions, so there's usually no legit way of getting around that. But it must be noted that most messenger software doesn't usually work right behind a strict firewall. Trillian is a third party IM client that is known for working especially well behind firewalls. I'd try that before passing it off as the uni having blocked everything. Most uni's don't actually explicitly block ports that IM programs use, unless you're using one of the school pc's.

download and install the free version of trillian here:

http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/

it's a very intuitive program to use. makes very stable connections. if trillian fails, then its almost guaranteed that the uni has blocked ports.