Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mail Merge Fields in Excel

• Please log in to reply

mjt!

mjt!

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a spreadsheet in Excel that contains a table of data. I also have a document in Word that successfully uses the Excel spreadsheet as a data source and merges fields into a document (mail merge?). I now need to do the same with a new Excel spreadsheet.

Is there any way for Excel to merge data from one spreadsheet using another spreadsheet as a source similar to the way Word does it. I noticed that Excel does not have a Mail Merge toolbar, so I don't know how to do it for one, and secondly there's no 'arrows' to scroll through pages like Word - with each page containing new data in the fields.

Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi mjt!,

Would you be talking about linking data from one sheet to another sheet, be it in the same workbook or a different workbook?

Octagonal

mjt!

mjt!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for your reply octagonal.

This is the scenario - I have one excel sheet (call it NAMES.xls). It contains a table with first names, last names and addresses. I have a Word document (call it MAIL.doc) that uses the 10 names from NAMES.xls and prints out 10 letters, each one with the name and address.

I want to create a new excel spreadhseet (RECORD.xls) that takes the same 10 names and adds it to 10 sheets(?) that prints out a blank table with each name on the top of each table so that I can fill out information for each person.

The reason I want these all linked, is so that as I add names to NAMES.xls, MAIL.doc automatically adds a new sheet (I just use the arrows in the Mail Merge toolbar). But now I want RECORD.xls to also somehow update it's information.

I hope that makes sense. I'm starting to think that there is not a way to do this?

Thanks.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
mjt!,

Yes, it is very possible to do this using Excel. To do what you want would probably be easier using Access and Word. Do you have and are you comfortable with using Access?

Octagonal

mjt!

mjt!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Octagonal, I am comfotable using Access. It would have been a lot easier for me to use Access in the first place instead of using Excel to create this database, unfortunately I have to share this with other people and they are a lot more comfortable using Excel - which is why I went that route.

If you tell me how it is possible to automatically link/import from Access into Excel, I can see if I can make it work from Excel to Excel!

Thanks.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hello mjt!,

You can link Excel worksheets as Tables in Access. That way anyone with access to those files are able to change/update/manipulate the data in Excel and you can still use Access for your DB to do with what you wish. You can link the Excel files by creating a New table and selcting the Link Table option and select your worksheet from there.

Octagonal

mjt!

mjt!

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Octagonal - That works great

MJT!

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip