Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Install Windows 7 on laptop to replace xubuntu

• Please log in to reply

Beatriceswiss

Beatriceswiss

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Hello,

I have inherited an HP Elitebook Folio 1040 G3 Notebook PC from a friend.  It has xubuntu installed on it.

I have an authentic Microsoft Windows 7 Professional DVD that I purchased some time ago.  I wish to install Windows 7 on the laptop, and remove all traces of xubuntu.  

I am aware that Windows 7 has not been supported for years.  I don't intend to do any risky things with the laptop, such as banking.  I just prefer the Windows interface over xubuntu.

Since the laptop does not come with a DVD drive, I installed a portable DVD drive in one of the USB ports, inserted the installation disc, and tried to install Windows 7.  A message appeared at the bottom of the screen saying the files were being copied. Then a Windows logo appeared, along with the option to Install Now.  I clicked on that, and after a few seconds a new screen appeared with the message:

A required DC/DVD drive device driver is missing.  If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD. or USB flash drive, please insert it now.

You receive the error mainly because the USB drive is not recognized by Windows Preinstallation Evironment (WinPE).

I am at a loss as to what to do next.  (I know that the DVD drive works because I have used it on another computer for burning photos.)

Any help in getting Windows 7 installed is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Beatrice

Advertisements

Beatriceswiss

Beatriceswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

a) How do I do that?

b) How do I know if the USB port is 2.0 or 3.0?

Beatriceswiss

Beatriceswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

I don't see any blue anywhere.  I assume your are referring to the USB port in the laptop?  When I look inside the port, there is a small black plastic? plate.  Is that what you mean?  On my new laptop, there is no blue either, but I know it has 3.0 ports from the spec sheet.  

Also, I don't have a clue what your first sentence means, and how I am supposed to change 3.0 to 2.0.  More clarification please.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Hi,

Why not install Windows 10? based on the HP page for that product its supported.

Beatriceswiss

Beatriceswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

If at all possible, I would like to first try installing Windows 7.  As mentioned in my first post, I had already purchased the disc (some time ago), and would like to use it if possible.

Beatriceswiss

Beatriceswiss

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

On second thought, I will install Windows 10 as suggested.

What is the best link where I can get it?  (Keeping in mind that the laptop does not have any version of Windows currently installed on it.  Only xubuntu.)

Thank you.

By the way, I will be away from any computers for a week, returning Sept 19.

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

I installed Windows 10 from the Microsoft website.  It works perfectly.  What's interesting, is that it is a fully activated, updatable version.  I didn't need to run xubuntu first as per the link in post #11.  I just booted from my USB and followed the install instructions.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,378 posts

Do you still need help with this?

Jackpine

Jackpine

• PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

No thanks.