Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop, No Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

blackchoi

blackchoi

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi all! any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am running WinXP pro on my pc. I have no desktop icons or taskbar. I can access programs through taskmanager (CTRL+ALT+DEL). I have been lurking in forums for days now and I cannot find a solution that will stick. I managed to fix the problem at one point but it didn't not stay because I had system restore set as off and also because I had SMSSU.EXE and Tmntsrv32.EXE (trojans or something) running and i have been trying to get rid of these programs.

SO. Last night I managed to get the desktop back by running Shellfix.reg found at
ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg

This morning I followed the instructions at http://www.techspot....topic17297.html to remove the trojans on my computer. After I managed to fix the viruses, the desktop disappeared again. I am a tech newbie and don't really know what to do. Shellfix.reg doesn't work anymore... for some reason when i run ftp://ftp.f-secure.com/anti-virus/tools/shellfix.reg from taskmanager it says it cannot be found. I sent Shellfix.reg to my computer through msn and put it in my registry but for some reason it hasn't had any effect. No desktop appears in safe mode either. Please... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance if anybody has any info?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you press ctrl + alt + delete keys together to get task manager, then click file, new task, type explorer.exe then press enter

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
well... i can open explorer, and i can open firefox... but when i type "explorer.exe" in the Create New Task window, it says it cannot be found... i don't know if that helps at all. But i have no problems running explorer whatsoever... When the problem first started i think that's where it came from. But now i'm just stuck :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click file then new task, type sfc /scannow (with the space) then press enter

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
okay it says:

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache."

"Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now."

Unfortunately I do not have a windows xp professional cd handy. And my dvd-rom might be damaged. Is there any way around this? I am currently working off of my laptop. Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow an XP Pro CD

It asking for files is a mixed blessing, at least there are files missing, which when replaced should solve this

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks a lot keith... i will see what i can do. thanks for your help man much appreciated. I'll see what i can do.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The XP CD will need to be the same as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2 then you need an SP1 XP CD

Hope it goes well

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
what's the difference between SP1 and SP2 and how do i know which version i have?

under the system it says:

Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then control panel, add and remove, tick show updates, look for SP2

If it is there, you need SP1 CD

Advertisements

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
cool thanks keith. if my cd-rom drive isn't working... which i don't think that it is... is there anyway of working around this?

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
is there anyway of getting to control panel without clicking on start? because i don't have a bar at the bottom... all i have is a background and the only way i can access stuff is through task manager... thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Sorry about that

File, new task, type control then press enter

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
this is interesting... i typed in control and then it said:

"Windows cannot find 'explorer.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly... yada yada yada"

that's strange because when i open explorer directly [C:\program files\internet explorer\explorer.exe] it works fine...

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
i just noticed that it doesn't run 'explorer.exe' but 'Iexplorer.exe' instead... is that significant?