Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Desktop, No Taskbar

• Please log in to reply

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What if you type this and press enter

C:\WINDOWS\system32\control.exe

Advertisements

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
it says:

Windows cannot find "C:\WINDOWS\system32\control.exe". Make sure you typed the name ... blah blah

lol sorry to be bugging you so much... but i really do appreciate the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's probably down to missing files

When you run sfc /scannow and it asks for the CD, if you put the wrong version in, it will say so, that's probably the quickest way forward here, it's a 50 / 50 and you would just need to borrow the other version if it does say you have the wrong disc

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
thanks keith. but what if the cd-rom doesn't work? is there any other way of working around that? because it's not detecting any cd that i put in...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It is unusual for it not to run a software CD, especially a Windows CD, can you check it runs a software installation CD

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
right now i'm using "Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2" just to see if the cd-rom works. but it won't detect it. when i click on D:\ it tells me to put in a cd....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you get it looked at, you will obviously need that part

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
you know what man... thanks for your help and all but i think i just messed everything up.

i followed these steps from http://support.micro...;EN-US;Q256194:

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue: 1. Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, and then click Task Manager.
2. On the File menu, click New Task (Run).
3. Type cmd.exe, and then press ENTER.
4. If necessary, change to the %SystemRoot% folder.
5. Rename the Shdocvw.dll file by typing ren shdocvw.dll shdocvw.old.
6. Restart the computer.

MORE INFORMATION
Other older files that may cause problems with Explorer.exe or the shell if they are located in %SystemRoot% folder:
Browseui.dll
Comctl32.dll
Comdlg32.dll
Mlang.dll
Ole32.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Shdocvw.dll
Shell32.dll
Shlwapi.dll
Urlmon.dll
Wininet.dll
Setupapi.dll

now a blue screen comes up for a split second and it keeps resetting my computer :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

Zoey Z

Zoey Z

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Any message on the blue screen? Also, exactly at what point of time does the blue screen comes up? Have you tried to load windows in safe mode [F8 on startup]

Advertisements

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the blue screen comes up just as it's about to prompt me for my password... it comes up even when i start in safemode... and it also comes up when i try to start up with the last known good configuration... i think i made a big big mistake lol...

there are words in white writing at the top of the blue screen... but it disappears and my computer resets so fast i don't know what it says...

blackchoi

blackchoi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
the system resets before i have a chance to enter a password... even when i boot in safe mode with command prompt... i can't boot with the last known good configuration either... does anybody have any advice? i might have messed it up beyond repair... :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
No, you need to have the CD ROM drive checked, and then you need an XP CD to do the repair

photo_luver

photo_luver

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Is the background blue? If so i had this exact same problem... i will try and find the link to my problem...

photo_luver

photo_luver

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Here is the problem...

http://www.geekstogo...topic=51020&hl=

And it has been solved :whistling: That guy helped me well and got alot of good raves....

Your Welcome :blink: