Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Error 1306 & windowsupdate.log

• Please log in to reply

hld1031

hld1031

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Creating specific installation packages for our shop, using Macrovision's AdminStudio Repackager 7. The packages, once created, install fine. Unfortunately, when uninstalling some of the products, receiving "Error 1306. Another application has exclusive access to the file C:\WINNT\WindowsUpdate.log. Please shut down all other applications, then click Retry."

Most of the situations, I can end the MSIEXE.EXE process via Task Manager and click Retry (since I don't have any other applications open, or for that matter installed on my test machine). One application won't even allow me to end the MSIEXE.EXE task. This happens on both W2k and XP platforms with all critical updates completed.

Anyone have any ideas how to resolve this?

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
My 2cts worth, here are two tools, one to see your processes and stop them if needed, the other to override their being used by something else, so that you can then delete them from the appwiz.cpl(add/remove programs) both are free, hope this helps, do post back with result and good luck.

Process explorer is stand alone
http://www.sysintern...ssExplorer.html

Unlocker one must install
http://www.scanwith....er_download.htm

backcountrybum

backcountrybum

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Thank you very much. I downloaded both applications. The "unlocker" application worked for me.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Not familiar with that product, but could you incorporate in the script a directive to shut down the window automatic update server

//script
net stop wuauserv

---install routine

net start wuauserv

//end script

I suspect it is automatic update that has the log open