Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-R vs. CD-RW for music

• Please log in to reply

PFDurand35

PFDurand35

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, I understand the various audio formats and how they can affect file size at a given bit rate. What I don't know much about is choosing the appropriate storage medium. I typically burn mixed audio CDs for playback on standard CD players. I have Windows Media Player 10 set to rip using Windows Media Audio Lossless (470 to 940 Kbps).
I usually burn an audio CD (as oppossed to a data CD) because the CD player at my desk (at work) is old and can't read Mp3 files. I typically use CD-R (this is the non-re-writable kind yes?) but currently have a stack of CD-RW (or whatever the re-writable kind are) at home and want to use them instead. The mix is going to be for someone else and I'm not sure what kind of playback device they'll have avaialable, so I figure making it so any standard compact disc player can play it would be safest.

Can I use a re-writable or can only CD-Rs be used to make audio CDs? :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Make a copy with CDRW and if it won't play then you can erase it and use it for something else, originally, Hi Fi CD players would only recognise CDR disc though this has changed, if the person does not live local then sending them a CDR will be the safer option

PFDurand35

PFDurand35

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thank you. I'll try that. Things would sure be easier if every one just had devices that read everything.