Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Upgrade for Under $200?

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I just ordered a new computer from CyberPowerPC with pretty good specs. The video card I chose is an ATI RADEON X550, which in the Oblivion line-up is on the low-end scale. Considering Oblivion (besides CoD 2) will be the first game on the new computer, I want to upgrade the video card soon (and the sound card later). I don't want to spend more than $200 and a price range of $100 to $160 would be ideal. I tried looking up cards in PC World and Newegg, but there are so many variations (connect3D, Sapphire, PowerColor) that I'm not quite sure who to put my money into.

Anyone have suggestions or good review websites, or anything helpful?

Advertisements

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
since u didn't say weather your new PC has AGP or PCIe i will give u this it is the clearance rack at ATI witch in my opion are the best cards you can buy these two will more than make you happy i have had Nvida and Radeon cards im an ATI fan these r refurbished by ATI so they have the same warenty as a new one b/c they are shure they will work and like i said i like ATI so comming from ATI it WILL work don't be afraid of it being refurbished..... well heres the web adress

http://shop.ati.com/....asp?dept_id=39

Edited by 09mlb86, 27 March 2006 - 03:39 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
*smacks head* I rushed that, here are more details:

500 Watt Power Supple
PCI-Express
256MB Video Card (at least)
ATI Chipset

Thanks for the suggestions! Anyone else?

EDIT: Also, if you could find a link to the video cards you suggest from a company you trust, that would help even more!

Edited by BlackPandemic, 27 March 2006 - 05:15 PM.

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
i think you will be happy with the X800 or if you can find an ATI Radeon 9800 XT

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I am calling CyberPower today to upgrade my X550 to a X800 for only $96 more bucks! Thanks for your help guys.

(Apparently CP, will let you edit an order as long as it hasn't shipped or tested yet-will edit if I misunderstood them)