Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stubborn WINXP problem..

• Please log in to reply

lordo

lordo

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hi there. I'm trying to clean up my grandad's computer, and I've had this one nagging issue that won't go away and I can't seem to track it down.

Exactly 5 minutes after the computer has logged in, the screen will flicker, open windows will change from blue to black and back again, and the PC speaker will chirp once. I can't seem to figure out what the problem is. As far as I know, it's done this for a long while. I initially thought it had something to do with popupblocker or something but now that it's gone, and the problem persists, i don't know where it's coming from. there's one program in my process list that i don't think belongs there, but I'm not sure: devldr32. Any help would be fantastic.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
devldr32.exe is installed with Creative Labs audio hardware. Installed to start automatically by default, this process is crucial to Creative Labs AudioHQ, Creative Mixer and audio input. This program is a non-essential system process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Look for updates at creative

Check for updates to the video adapter drivers

lordo

lordo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Hello Keith, and thanks for the prompt reply.

I have installed the latest catalyst drivers (this system has a Radeon 7200 *shudder*), but unfortunately the system did the same flash/beep routine as before, 5 minutes after logon. This time I kept Task Manager open and caught a glimpse of the program, "sethc". I found it in system32 where it's labelled as WindowsNT High Contrast Invocation, whatever that means. Since it appears official, is there a way i can force it to stop running?

thanks for your help.

loadsafuniam

loadsafuniam

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I use a program called "spybot" in advanced mode to alter the startup processes. It works well for stopping unwanted programs running at startup and slowing your computer down. Just be careful which processes you stop running, it could cause your OS to stop running.

lordo

lordo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Unfortunately I can't disable sethc from Spybot, since it doesn't seem to be a normal startup process. Any help would be great.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have the file but cannot find the process it is responsible for

If you use task manager, processes, click it then click end process, does the PC run, or shut down

lordo

lordo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
When sethc runs, it does so for one second and then dissapears on its own. afterwards, even if i double click the icon in System32, the process won't run again. All it does is start 5 minutes after logon, runs for 1 second, causes screen colours to change and a chirp noise, and then stops.