Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how cool is linux

• Please log in to reply

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Hello!

well im wana know how many people like linux, how good is it and from where i can download it, get it or wat.
im relay interested on getting linux, but first i wana know if it is any good, any pros etc.
THANX :whistling:

Edited by Mike-pxndx, 27 March 2006 - 04:15 PM.

Advertisements

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Linux is an extremely good operating system, though more for the advanced user. Any programs you can get on Windows, Linux can either emulate this (run a windows program on linux) or, most likely have its own version.

Linux overall is one of the most stable operating systems created, which is why it is mainly used for server purposes (as they are rarely turned off). If you are not already familiar with Linux though, I do not suggest emigrating from windows XP to linux.

Try using a virtual machine to test stuff first such as http://www.vmware.com/ < vmware. This program runs any OS and runs the software while you use your windows xp as you would normally. Though you do allocate memory and HDD space to it.

Overall, I'd give linux a 7/10. The reason for the 7 is because it does virtually everything windows does, but its missing the three as new games and software is not designed for linux, though there is always an alternative, but most of us find what we like and just stick with it.

For example, photoshop is one of the most common image editing and creating programs, but there is an alternative commonly found on linux distros: GIMP, I find it very good but I think I will always stick to Photoshop.

Also, if you are insterested in emulating windows software use
Wine: http://www.winehq.com/
For gaming, which I have used before (and amazingly found it better quality and performance, which is hard to believe!): Cedega: http://www.transgaming.com/

Hope this is helpful.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Sweet, but how do i would use it, i mean is there any task bar, likw windows, is the way to use like a mac or....

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Linux is quite similar to Windoze, there is a task bar, windows, menus, etc. It is just different.

You do need to decide what you want to do with the computer, since if you want to do gaming, Linux will not really work for you.

My view is a bit different though. While there are not the games on Linux as on Windoze, Linux is much more stable and I think easier to learn, especially when you consider the issues of viruses, spyware, etc. There are Live CDs (Knoppix, DSL OS, etc.), which you can boot and run Linux, which is much easier than installing Windoze.

There are many different distros of Linux, so first you need to decide which want you want (like makes of a vehicle, all are slightly different, but pretty much the same).

If you are willing to take the time to learn Linux, overall I think you will save time and effort. Ask how many times people have had to reinstall Windoze and then ask about Linux. I could also go on about the design issues, plus when the new version on Windoze, Vista, comes out how much you will need to learn, but ...

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
i would use my computer, most of the time for gaming and designing.

i''ve been thinking on gettin a aliwnware pc for gaming and queep this pc for designing stuff
like webpages, applications etc.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
For gaming I would suggest sticking with Windoze. For Web design, it depends on what you are doing since there are some thing which only work well with Windoze. It is best to make it work with everything, so Linux would work. For the applications, it depends on what exactly you are doing.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
so.. linux is not good for gamig but Windoze dose..
so if i would use it for gaming......would it be smart if i get
an alienware pc (www.alienware.com) and install
the Windoze on it?

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
if you are wanting to do gaming on the alienware pc, then yes get it with Windows installed.

as for designing in linux, currently the only thing you cannot do in Linux is Flash, but hopefully Adobe (They own Macromedia now) will make a version of Flash for linux soon, a lot of designers I know have been constantly emailing Adobe and requesting a linux version of the Flash designing program.

as for html designing, Java, C, C+, C++, C#, etc... Linux is great for those. the tools for designing are usually pre-installed when you install the distro, the only exception being Suns Java SDK which you can download and install.

With the HTML the only issue is if you use a WYSWYG editor. The only WYSWYG editor that I know of for Linux currently is NVU, and the WYSWYG portion of that program is not easy to use. If you do 90% hand coding then you will be fine.

Edited by Dragon, 28 March 2006 - 02:59 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

as for designing in linux, currently the only thing you cannot do in Linux is Flash, but hopefully Adobe (They own Macromedia now) will make a version of Flash for linux soon, a lot of designers I know have been constantly emailing Adobe and requesting a linux version of the Flash designing program.

What about ActiveX?

I know that there are some issues where sites demand IE, often Firefox User Agent Switcher works to convince the site, but there are other sites which there is no choice but to use IE, although I don't know the reasons as I have not investigated it.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
activeX is just an excuse to make people use Windows IMHO. Generally ActiveX is made using frontpage, VBscript, .NET, or ASP all of which were designed by MS.

Anytime I come across a site like that I close it out and never go back. They are MS slaves who have been bought by M$ throught their software.

if you follow proper updating you will see that ActiveX is now turned off by default because of the exploits that malware and Hijackers are using in it.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Well, there is a CA government site which uses ActiveX and which I need to access, so I don't have much of a choice in that respect. All other sites I do as you do.

Mike-pxndx

Mike-pxndx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
So.... for gaming the windows xp on a alienware pc would be ok..
and linux would be good for coding..
but is kinux any good for gaming??

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
some gaming is ok on Linux, but if you want decent play, you have to get Cedega, which is $5/month.

Cedega is a good program but they don't support a lot of the current games that are out.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
or just be old school and use wine, which is basically a free alternative for cedega that's been around for ages :whistling:

configuration is annoying though, gotta admit. The most common thing is to dual boot a pc with linux and windoze, so you get the best of both worlds.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts

or just be old school and use wine, which is basically a free alternative for cedega that's been around for ages :whistling:

configuration is annoying though, gotta admit. The most common thing is to dual boot a pc with linux and windoze, so you get the best of both worlds.

the only problem with WINE is that it doesn't get the game support as fast as Cedega does. although I don't play games on Linux, strictly use it for work purposes.

I dual boot on this machine, but on my laptop I run Linux only.