Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with Computer Freezing Up

• Please log in to reply

nschube

nschube

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer keeps freezing up, and I have to manually unplug it from the power source to reboot it. Control-alt-delete does not work as the keyboard and mouse are unusable at the time it freezes. It will freeze at random times (1 minute to several hours after it has been switched on, but on average within approximately 20 minutes of turning it on), and the freezing is not correlated with a particular program. I am in the process of going through a Gateway tutorial to fix the problem, but am almost done with it and the problem remains. I have done the following and they are not the source of the problem: checked memory remaining, ran a ScanDisk, checked and deleted .tmp and .chk files, deleted cookies, ran Disk Defragmenter, renamed the Config.sys and Autoexec.bat (at which time I lost files and file names), removed items from the StartUp Group, and removed and reinstall Advanced Power Management. I have run some Ad-ware and it did not detect any viruses. I also have Norton Antivirus and it has not found any viruses. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be, or what I should do at this point? Thanks.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Well with everthing you have done I think you should start testing the hardware,

I would try and find out the manufacturer and model of the hardrive then go to there website and look for dignostic tools to check the drive, if you are comfortable with removing the drive the info will be on the top of it.

You could also use everest it is a program you install to get system info.

You may also try Diskcheckup but I am not sure if it will work with your system.

All of these are free btw, I am suggesting you start with the hd because the system is freezing there are other test you can run but I would start with the hd and report back what you find.

Rick

nschube

nschube

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Rick - Thanks for the help.