Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Wont Connect?

• Please log in to reply

photo_luver

photo_luver

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hello Everyone,

I have been helped here with some GREAT success and i think i need your help again!

One of my other computers seems not to be connecting to the Internet or Firefox or anything at all....

Now what i have tryed is Knoppix (CD bootable OS from Linux) and the Firefox on there works like a charm! So i can have internet on that computer when running knoppix but cant when running windows?

The problem that i am getting is when i press Firefox it boots up and i get cannot connect to blah blah blah (whatever i typed in) and internet shows me that page cannot connect...

Now i tryed the two Fixes for Internet but it still doesnt seem to work...

I want to try a reinstall but i dont wanna risk it cause i dont want to loose any files or corrupt things any worse...

Do you guys think you can help me out for a second time?

Thanks! :whistling: :help: :blink:

Garrett

Edited by photo_luver, 27 March 2006 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
don't reformate, thats too extreme for a problem like this, or i find anyways, by any chance you you have multiple firewalls running? Try dumping your temperairy files, if you don't know how to just post back.
thanx
James

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I shut down all firewalls and still the problem... ive run a Cleanup so all temp files are deleted :whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
the last time that you posted a HJT log you had two anti virus scanners running, is this still the case?
James

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yes Zone Alarm and PC-Cillin nad i believe Norton as well...

But this isnt the same computer a different one then i am on now :whistling:

Edited by photo_luver, 27 March 2006 - 05:22 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
ok i havn't compleated my training so i can't suggest anything furthur, so can you please follow the following instructions.

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

thanx
James

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I think it may have to do with a Proxy Server or something to that affect because when i run it and it askes if Firefox wants to access the internet it does but it doesnt ask for a Process Win32 Services to ask like this computer does?

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i don't think that process win 32 has anything to do with this, also just thought of it, back tehre you said that you shut down all your firewalls. Firstly you shouldn't be surfing the web without one and secondly you shouldn't have more then one.
James

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Should i Uninstall one? which ones should i keep?

Also i have done all of those things on both computers since we had a problem with the current computer i am on....

I will be posting a Highjackthis Log into the forum :whistling:

Garrett

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
i'm sorry but like i said i cannot give you that information as i'm still in trainning, once you post a HJT log the people there will be able to assist you.
James

P.S. i have to get going now (and won't be back from some time) so if anyone can shed some more light on this problem please do so.

Advertisements

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Thanks James.... your a big help and i hope you complete your "Training" soon :whistling:

Garrett

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Alrighty ive talked to Dan via PM's and i think im going to keep this topic alive and i hope i can get as much help as possible...

Yes i can transfer files from one computer as long as it isnt drastic (128mb max.) and im doing it through a USB Stick...

The two fixes i have run are the sfc /scannow and that DIDNT work... same with the WinSockFix and that didnt work either...

No there werent any viruses/trojans/ any malware to my knowledge...

It happend a LONG time ago and i dont know what is going on i think someone here deleted or did something to a file which caused it to stop pining or functioning properly...

Ill run that other program you told me to try and ill see that works...

Please download LSPFix from here. Transfer it to the broken computer and then run it. Please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
K i ran it and this is specifically what it says...

there is NOTHING in the Remove part of this application....

In the keep it says...

mswsock.dll....................Tcpip
winrnr.dll........................NTDS
nwprovou.dll...................NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS...
rsvpsp.dll.......................(Protocol Handler)

Garrett

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
One more thing...

My, IP address is Unavailable, Subnet Mask Unavailable, and Default Gateway is Unavailable.... I cannot press repair or details inside of that box so nothing is really possible?

What do i do now?

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

My, IP address is Unavailable, Subnet Mask Unavailable, and Default Gateway is Unavailable.... I cannot press repair or details inside of that box so nothing is really possible?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

What happens when you go to Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

It happend a LONG time ago and i dont know what is going on i think someone here deleted or did something to a file which caused it to stop pining or functioning properly...

In that case, please follow these steps (skip the sfc scan if you wish) -- Also, please read through all of the instructions, and it may help if you print them out -- some of these steps may take a fair while, so don't try these until you have some free time..

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install
Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor