Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Wont Connect?

• Please log in to reply

photo_luver

photo_luver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi Dan... This is Garrett's mom and I would like to thank you for helping with this issue. Yes, unfortunately, I did delete some files that were better left alone. :help: The "damage" was caused almost 2 years ago and I was hoping to network the computers and do some transfers to rectify the problem -- procrastination is a terrible thing :whistling: Of course, Garrett beat me to resolving the issue -- gave him something constructive to do :) Since "violating" the other computer, I have learned much more about registry files, CMOS etc and can say that this computer has not experienced the same fate. :)

Great job Dan! You have my utmost respect. :blink:

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi Garrett's mom,

I did delete some files that were better left alone.

:) It's all part of the learning processs :help: I assure you that you could ask any tech on this board and they wouldn't be able to recall the number of computer's they destroyed in the learning curve :whistling: Luckily, the majority of those were test machines.

If you're interested in learning how to fiddle with the registry, then I'd highly recommend that you download VMWare Player from their site. This will allow you to install your Operating System into a "Virtual Machine"; you can then fiddle with the VM's registry and if anything goes wrong, it won't in any way affect / compromise your computer (or your files). It's a very handy utility that alot of Tech's use to test out new products, software, modifications, etc. and is a great way for home users to learn the limits and boundaries of their computer's without fear of the consequences.

I'm glad I could help and I only hope that in the future, if you run into any other mishaps, you won't wait two years before asking us for a hand :) We're always more than happy to lend a helping hand to the friendly members :blink:

Can i run some of the programs i downloaded before from you and use them?

Hi Garrett,

I personally run CCleaner every week or so, just to keep my computer clean -- and of course I follow all of the recommended Spyware Protection steps suggested by our Malware Staff.

The other steps I generally do every three or four months, as it helps keep your system clean and running at it's peak. If you do all of these things, then you should theoretically be running a very healthy system.