Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't enter my windows98/ boot disk problem..

• Please log in to reply

almesveen

almesveen

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I have an old EPOX 753-012 AMD K7/DURON, w/cd-rom and floppy drive. System: Amibios Simple Setup Utility Version 1.21.06.
Until recently it runned ok, but one day it wouldn't. The only message I got in DOS, was:

SDRAM at DIMM# :1

RPL-ROM-ADR:
RPL-ROM-IRQ:
RPL-ROM-PIO:
RPL-ROM-FFC:

Boot failure
Insert BOOT diskette in A:

After searching the net for a (perhaps) easy solution for the problem - apparently I need some sort of a BOOT DISK. I ended up at WWW.BOOTDISK.COM, trying to download bootdisk files for win98, and saving them on a blank floppy disk. And apparently this didn't work:

searching for boot record from floppy..OK
Non-system disk or disk error

I understood today that I've been trying to enter a diskette with the files packed, so I tried unpacking them and saving them on a new floppy to enter in the old machine, but there isn't enough space on a single floppy for the bootdisk.img file.

Is there a fairly easy way to get me in to windows again? I'm not to skilled in this field. But Iv'e stored a lot of stuff on the harddisk, so I'm kinda desperate..
Anyone?
Anderson
:whistling: THX :blink:

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to check here is the memory sticks. They are not getting a good connection or the sticks may have gone bad. Memory failures can cause a non-boot because only part of the memory has failed.

The rpl-rom errors may be a faulty bios, or could be caused by network error.

http://support.intel...b/CS-013528.htm

I usually get boot disks from here as i have had problems with some bootdisk.com boot disks.

http://freepctech.co.../files010.shtml

Instructions are there on the website.

SRX660

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi almesveen...

The trick in using startup disks from bootdisk.com is in the creation of the disk. Download the file from bootdisk.com and save it to you desktop. Double-click on the downloaded file...THEN put a fresh, formatted floppy diskette in the floppy drive when you are prompted to do so. This will create the disk properly.

For Windows 98 (all versions), I recommend the Win98SE OEM bootdisk...both for the files it contains and for it's reliability.

wannabe1