Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Operating System for x86 Family

• Please log in to reply

nschube

nschube

• Pip
  • 7 posts
What Operating Systems can I install on a Gateway GenuineIntel x86 Family (255 MB RAM)? Presently I have Windows 98 on it, but if I have to reinstall Windows 98 to fix current problems, I am wondering if upgrading to a newer operating system is an option and cost effective. Thanks.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

You can run XP on it the upgrade version sells for less tha $100 US, I would do a clean install of 98 first then install the XP upgrade.

I would go to microsoft.com first and search around, they have something that will scan your computer and check the software and drivers you have installed and give you a list of things that may not be compatible with XP if there are any.

Rick

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Delete the partition using the FDISK program. After that then place the Windows XP upgrade CD in and begin the setup. During the setup it will ask for a past version of Windows CD to be inserted, do so. By doing this it skips the whole step of installing Windows 98 and saves about 1-2 hours of time. Hope that this helps.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi DHooper,

I have tried your method many times and it works perfect but I was wondering if it works with a restore cd or only with a true windows cd.

Rick

DHooper

DHooper

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
It all depends on the CD. I know that it works with the Dells restore discs. I have a Dell computer with a Windows ME resotre disc(I know dont :tazz: at me). It was the only OS that they were selling at the time. The restore disk, is bascily a ME disc, but with a motherboard ID checker. What I mean is that, before the setup would run it checked the motherboard to see if it was a dell motherboard. You wouldnt belive how hard I had to fight for them to send me a OEM CD of Windows ME. The only company that I know of that send the org OEM CD is NorthWest Falcon.