Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problem with Geforce 6600GT

• Please log in to reply

-=KnIfE=-

-=KnIfE=-

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, this is my first post here, I've used the site for a while now when I've had problems but this one hasnt turned up on a search.

First of all my specs:

Geforce 6600GT (previously an FX5600 - which is what I'm using now)
512MB DDR (333mhz PCI 2700)
AMD Athlon XP 2600+

I bought a Geforce 6600GT today to replace the POS that is the FX5600 ( :mad: ). I installed it, turned my PC on and it loaded up fine. At the same time I installed a new wireless net card which needed the PC to be rebooted. When I rebooted it got to the XP loading screen, then my monitor lost input signal. This has happened every single time since I installed it. I've reverted back to my FX5600 to find some help.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

-=KnIfE=-

Advertisements

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,

If you uninstall the wireless card does the system boot? What about if you hit F8 and enable vga mode?

Paddy

-=KnIfE=-

-=KnIfE=-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well, I havent tried uninstalling the card yet. VGA mode.... it starts up fine in 640x480 res. I install the drivers and when it reboots the same problem happens. I bought a new 525W power supply, so power is not the problem. I have a feeling that it's driver related. I put the card in my dad's system and it displayed the same problems. Loading up in safe mode (at 1024x768) and loading up in VGA mode (at 640x480) but then the above problem happening once the drivers are installed.

-=KnIfE=-

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
:tazz: I have the same problem with a GEFORCE MX4000 AGP card, but only on my TFT5010 Monitor, it worked fine with my other CRT, I am running XP so I booted with the xp disk in and did a repair, it booted with out going to sleep all the time like it was but it loaded a default driver, then i got a message saying the adapter was made for an older version of windows. I went ahead and reloded the drivers off the disk that came with the card. And back to the same thing, the monitor goes to sleep before window fully loads. Any help appreciated.

Robert

paddyt

paddyt

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
hmm sounds like it would be worth contacting Nvidia, as it doesn't seem to be compatibility between your system and the card, you may want to see if there's another driver available as well.

Paddy

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did discover that the driver on the web site was newer and it worked, I did have to hook up to my other monitor and install it first, but all is working now.

Robert

-=KnIfE=-

-=KnIfE=-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
what driver was this?

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
http://www.nvidia.co.../winxp_2k_66.93

-=KnIfE=-

-=KnIfE=-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
oh right. That's the driver which comes on the disk with my card, which seems to be causing the problem.

What I think I'm gonna do is get a replacement and if that screws up get my money back

Robertt253

Robertt253

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Could it be possible that the driver on your disk is corrupted some how and the download will work, just a thought.

-=KnIfE=-

-=KnIfE=-

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
nah, I've tried both downloading it and using the one off of the disk and it doesnt seem to work. Same problem both times, and on 3 different computers which I've tried it in now.