Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compute is turning off all on its own

• Please log in to reply

martens24

martens24

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
My computer has been periodically turning off on its own. It happens a variety of different times. Sometimes I will be working on it, other times, it will be sitting idle. What happens, my monitor goes black and there is no response. I can hear that my computer is still on, but it won't do anything. I can't even hit the power button to turn it off. When I do that, nothing happens. I have to do a hard reset by holding in the power button for a few seconds until it shuts down. Upon restart, I am taken to the BIOS and get the message: "During the last boot-up, your system hung for imporper frequency combination". What do I need to do? Should this be posted here or in a different forum? Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisements

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello martens24,

I've had a very very similar problem. In my case I didn't get this message "During the last boot-up, your system hung for imporper frequency combination", maybe just because I always restarted my pc from the reset button.
At the same time I posted my problem see here I was being led so I can clean my pc from malware,spyware etc...Since I cleaned my pc (2 days ago) I didn't have the same problem (screen problem). I'm not saying that it was my solution, it might have been just a concidence that the problem stopped when my pc was clean. On the other hand it could have been the solution of the problem (most probably in my opinion).

What I suggest is that you run through these steps and see whether that solves your problem or wait until an expert or a more knowledgeable geek gives you his advice.

Please keep us informed with your situation and if you manage to fix it we'll be glad if you share your solution. It might help others.

PS: This topic needs to be moved to another section since it is in the wrong section (definetaly not Programming Section) :whistling:

Alan :blink:

Edited by alandemartino, 28 March 2006 - 03:21 AM.

martens24

martens24

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Today, when I started up my computer, it wouldn't start up at all. I had to try about 15 times. I tried in safe mode, regulare mode, safe with networking, all different ways but it would just lock up and not do anything. I would have to hold down the reset button until it turned off and try again. Finally it worked. I'm ready to copy all of my files and buy a new computer b/c I'm so frustrated but I would of course like to keep this one and save the $. Anyway, thanks for your advice. I have no problem moving this topic to another section. I didn't quite know which one though... :whistling:

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Hello again,
sorry for the late reply but I've been a bit busy. Maybe you don't have to buy a new one. I researched a bit about your problem and came across this: CLICK HERE. I hope it solves your problem. Let me know please

Alan :whistling:

TakeBK

TakeBK

• PipPip
  • 76 posts

"During the last boot-up, your system hung for imporper frequency combination". !

Take out one of the sticks of memory you just installed.Leave the original.