Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Antivirus and firewall help.

• Please log in to reply

Purgatory

Purgatory

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
I have a question. I have access to two antivirus and firewall programs, but can't decide which would be better for my system. And I am looking for an opinion, at least.

I can't get my Kerio firewall to work anymore.. I think its something with the registry *shrugs* And it crashed a lot so I just removed it.

Now I can choose between these two options;
1) I can use Nod32, coupled with Windows Firewall (Might be easier on my system resources?)
2) Or I can use BitDefender Internet Security (Seems to have it all?) antivirus, firewall, antispam, antispyware etc.

Now, which option should I use? cause I know next to nothing about windows firewall, and if its any good or not, does it block both incoming and outgoing connections? or just incoming?

I need an opinion, second from my own.

Someone please offer me some wisdom!

thanks in advance!

Advertisements

neverborn

neverborn

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
why not try both? :whistling: not both at once, of course, but one combination at a time.

personally, i prefer bitdefender's antivirus. finds a lot of things if you update it regularly...as for their firewall, i can't say. i'm using zonelabs' zonealarm, and it does alert you for both incoming/outgoing connections. you can also set to automatically block connection attempts if you don't care for popup alerts.

Purgatory

Purgatory

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
Tried em both.. but not sure which to use. BD firewall seems okay, similar to Kerio in some ways, just not sure how powerful it is. And yeah I heard great things about BD antivirus, but good ol Nod32 is still rather great.

So I'm still not sure which to use..... hmm, I'll toy around and see if anyone else gives an opinion.

thanks for your info neverborn!

cph89

cph89

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I would also suggest BD, the antivirus is great and while Windows Firewall looks good at face value you can naver be too sure how powerful it really is. If you want another choice than Zonealarm from Zonelabs is an excellent firewall and the one I personally use its great and its free and If you want more advanced features you can always pay to upgrade it.