Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird Windows XP Problems...

• Please log in to reply

Des90

Des90

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Good Morning,

A multi-pronged problem.

System: Dell Dimension 8400, 1GB, Memory 160GB Drive, Window XP Professonal SP2

Problems:

1.) Had intermittent issues with shutting down. Excessively long. Disable Norton Internet Security seems to have corrected the problem.
2.) Copying some files to a flash drive yesterday. Right clicked on properties for selected folders and nothing.
3.) Installing IPOD Nano software last night, Intallshield starts up, iniitializes, whatever and then nothing. It's in the task bar and have to end task.
4.) Checking for updates this morning. Microsoft says they have a new updater, downloads, initializes installation and then hangs. End task again.
5.) Just checked properties on "My Computer". Brief flash of activity and no display.

Other aspects:

Norton scanned on Friday, no problems reported.

Somehow I think these are related. Interesting that I am having difficulties installing anything...

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you download and install this, then try installing the iPOD

http://www.microsoft...&displaylang=en

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just tried. Downloaded the setup file. It runs says it is stopping services, creating a restore point and then hangs...

Have just ended the process (no ill effects). Off to the office (I'm late). Will check the forum throughout the day but it will be the end of the day before I can take a look again...

Thanks So Much,
Desmond

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
A few other observations. After ending the task for the MSI installer and shutting down the PC it came back and told me that "extracting files" and the "installer" were not responding. Ended both of those and the PC shutdown properly...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot. You should disable the antivirus programme to run this and check it is running after the reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor

Try to download and run the installer

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thank You,

Will do! (I'm at the office) My Dell came with XP pre-loaded and I don't have an XP CD... Can I use another CD, say from work?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
As long as it is the same version as was originally installed, if you downloaded SP2, you need an XP SP1 CD

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Keith,

Followed your instructions.
Everything went well. After finishing up the system seems alot more peppier. Couple of exceptions.

1.) Downloaded Tune Up 2006 before I started. Silly me tried to install and sure enough it hung. (at least I did'nt get a screen showing progress whatever) Interestingly enough after restarting the computer the desktop icons were there and it worked.
2.) Tried to update my installer and it seemed to hang as it did this morning. <sigh> Have a word document of the screen, I waited a full ten mnutes before I canceled.
3.) And the IPOD installer does not run. Error 628 Failure to complee installation. Even waited about five minutes to see if something would start but all to no avail.
4.) Finally, still not getting properties on folders?

The tune-up procedures really seemed to help the PC ALOT... r, but I cannot install the IPOD software. This wouldn't bother me a bit actually, but I've got a daughter who is eager to use her IPOD...

Attached Files

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's all it has for error 628

Remote Access Service Errors 628 and 629 in Small Business Server

Have you got remote access / remote desktop running?

OR

The port was disconnected.

Does the internet connection stay on, during installation some Microsoft software spends as much time phoning home as it does installing. Disconnect if idle would contribute to this, if you right click the network connection, click properties to see if this is set, remove the ticks from auto disconnect and disconnect if idle, if present, click apply, reboot

Can you download the installer, save the file, close the browser, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, click start up, click disable all, click apply, reboot, tick do not start the configuration utility when it loads, disable the anti virus, try the installer file

Try the iPod software while it is in this mode

To return it to normal start up, click start then run, type msconfig then press enter, put the dot in normal start up, click apply, reboot

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Keith,

Finally had the opportunity to try your suggestion. Same results. Have made a few other discoveries. Perhaps this will provide insight.

1.) Still no diplay of properties from folders.
2.) Clicking on propers from My Computer seems to want to start and then nothing. A review of the processes list shows the rundll32.exe has been started.
3.) Was looking at my installed programs and tried to until one that uses the Windows Installer and it hangs as well. When I ended that task I get a "Run DLL as an APP" is not responding?
4.) The only recent activity on my PC recently has been the installaton of Visual Studio 2005 and some other related stuff. Seems to be a great many more services running that are associated the Visual Studio and SQL Server. Need check with MSDN I guess.
5.) My only real concern at this point is that if installers are hosed and I can't see properties on folders what else is going on? <sigh>

My final option is to use my DELL restore, and then rebuild the system... <big sigh>

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Thank You,
Desmond

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is it likely someone set this

When the Remove Properties from the My Documents context menu Group Policy setting has been applied on a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, users can still open the properties of the My Documents folder by pressing ALT+ENTER while My Documents is selected in Windows Explorer.

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
An update...

Was working on the PC last night and properties on folders was working, including properties on My Computer.

Jumped on the iPod Software Updater install and it worked!! Re-started the PC and tried the iTunes installer and back to the same problems. (it hangs/stops working after displaying Preparing to Install..) Really frustrating, all other aspects of the PC work normally, even after ending the process.

Any futher suggestions or things I might check?

Regards,
Desmond

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does the apple / iPod site have anything, it seems related to the iPod now and they may have known issues with some programmes

Des90

Des90

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Keith,

First, thank you for your reply!

Just now got it installed! Seems to be working fine (the iPod that is)... Yeeehaaa..

Lemme share what I did (perhaps it will assist someone else in the future...)

Was checking out my event viewer, installled programs etc.. Went to administrative tools and double clicked on IIS. Nothing, suspiciously like the other issues I was having. So I decided to uninstall IIS, tried that and same thing, no response. Exited out of add/remove programs, restarted add/remove programs and tried to click on install/uninstall Windows options. Said it was already running... Restated PC went back to Administrative tools and IIS, double click and nothing. Started task manager and looked at the running processes. (blind leading the blind) Saw a process, inetsvcs.exe (I think) and ended that, voilla MMC with IIS popped up. Closed that and properties was now working, ran the installer for iTunes and tada!!!

Sheesh! I'm just glad my daughter is a happy camper! I made a note of the errant service and we'll see what happens the next time I start the PC. It's up now, I've got work to do later today so I'm not touching a thing!!!

Thanks again for your assistance! Think it's about 4:00pm your time, 10:00am mine, so have a GREAT evening!

Regards,
Desmond

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the solution