Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Windows Explorer Error Please Help

• Please log in to reply

@home

@home

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hi there,

I am new here on this forum, I do hope you can help me with this devestating error I am faced with. I have searched via google and other forum but none have yet to aid my problem.

The error is with Windows Explorer and it is ad follows:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Error Signature:

AppName: explorer.exe AppVer:6.0.2800.1106 MonName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 006f0057

More technical info can be provided if need be, but I'd rather not type all that gibbersih.

I am using Windows XP pro SP1

The problem is I can't do anything else without fixing this error. I can't access my drives external or internal, my documents, file on the desktop; I need to back up all of this before doing what I belive will be the inevitible, that is a fresh install. No, I don't have an anti-virus unfourtnatly I don't think its a virus though but I've come across somweher that it maybe a trojan horse.

I can't launch any programs or use the windows explorer

I hop you can help me, I really appreciate it.

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 07:34 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

let this run untill you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

If you want to see what was replaced, right click My Computer > manage, expand event viewer > system.

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
thank you very much dsenette;

I do have a valid xp cd except its not one CD, its four CD's I have a Sony Vaio, and for God knows what reason sony have decided to make their own recovery cd versio of windows with preloaded applications, so which cd should I use?

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 07:39 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...i'm not sure that those willl work..but it can't hurt to try them....start with disk one when it asks you for the cd and see what happens

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
besides I can't access the windows task bar, the Start buttons etc. I just get the windows explorer error

Ok let me give that a go..athnks once again

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 07:42 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you do windows key R (if you have a windows key on the keyboard)

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ehh...windows key R? I havce a windows key on my keyboard, one with the windows logo stamped on to bring up the windows start menu What ios the key R, can you please clarify ?

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK I've just inserted CD one but I can't do anything because the WE error is still on my desktop and it won't allow me to browse to the cd rom or anything else!

if I move my cursor over the task bar the windows egg timer appears suggesting that it is busy with many process. I've had this problem since last night and have re-statred teh computer many times but to no avail

when I restart the computer how do I boot into safe mode is it F1/2/12? or is it delete I can't remember besides I've tried all those and it boots normally without giving me the options of booting safe modes and other options

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 07:53 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the windows key plus the R button opens up the run box...so you would put the cd in and do windows key + R then type sfc /scannow if the run command opens..if the run command doesn't open then we're not gonna be able to do this task...if you can't get to the run command try booting into safe mode and see if it works there (press f8 during boot and you'll get a boot menu..choose safe mode)...if not.... then we'll try something else..

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK let me reboot in safe mode, give me minute, thanks once again mate

F8 worked (oops had forgotten it was F8, I'm just trying to see if last know good config will work.....eh nope it didn't sorry )

an excellent forum, very easy to use, vwey well designed well done everyone

ok booting into safe mode....

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 07:59 AM.

Advertisements

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK in safe mode as my Un and not admin...but the same error appears once again I can't click on start button, plus Windows button +R doesn't work...any other ideas?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
how long ago did this start? we're gonna try a system restore here..

Start the System Restore tool at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a command prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.micro....com/kb/315222/

A description of the Safe mode boot options in Windows XP

<credit for canned speach ~ Keith>

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
this morning actually 2AM GMT.....

......................except I have system restore swtiched off!

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 08:06 AM.

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
error on cmd mode: The system cannot find the path specified

copied it excatly as you have typed it

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..isn't that lovely...can't do a system restore if it's turned off....and can't really do a repair with the sony recovery disks...is this a laptop or a desktop?