Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Serious Windows Explorer Error Please Help

• Please log in to reply

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
With any prob like this, (if you can) the first thing you need to do is install lastest crital updates for windows then run anti virus scan and spyware scan

Advertisements

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
a laptop, Sony have just done it again, this laptop has been plagued with probkems since day 1!....any other ideas in that tool box of yours? many thanks

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 08:17 AM.

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

With any prob like this, (if you can) the first thing you need to do is install lastest crital updates for windows then run anti virus scan and spyware scan

except as you give the plause, IF, and my luck has destined that this IF is not on my side..i can't do anything launch programs, log onto the net, run anything

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...well my next advice is gonna be a little difficult ala laptop....my suggestion was going to be to remove the HD from the LT...and use an external HD enclosure so that you could at least backup all of your data from the drive by hooking the thing up to another computer...

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ahh man computers you can't do with them and you can't do without them, just like a woman!

I guess I have no other choice than what I end up doing in most of these errors fresh reinstall, i'l just loose most of my work, some very important files which would have to be redownloaded and some reconstructured...any final ideas before I get the sledge hammer out?

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

ok...well my next advice is gonna be a little difficult ala laptop....my suggestion was going to be to remove the HD from the LT...and use an external HD enclosure so that you could at least backup all of your data from the drive by hooking the thing up to another computer...

...wait there....I've taken out the HD from the LT before and have attempted to access the HD from another computer except that the HD would not be recognised on another machine. It was connected via SCSCI from the HD then USB 2.0 on the other end, I mihgt just try this once more you never know...before I :whistling: but all these recovery methods always waste so much time, one might as well do a fresh reinstall except that your irreplacable data is calling out to you

thanks once again, I'l get my screw driver out

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Wow!!!! Wow!!! :whistling:

Give the Techs on this site some time to figure it out.

Reinstall is the last resort!

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Wow!!!! Wow!!! :whistling:

Give the Techs on this site some time to figure it out.

Reinstall is the last resort!

you've got the time mate, thanks for your advice, I'm just going to try to salvage the HD out and see if taht works, will keep you updated

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
one last question here....do you have access to a windows xp cd of the same type as the one that's installed on your computer (i.e. home or pro...sp1 or sp2?...)...

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
i maybe able to dig one out, but not in hand no.........what were you going to propose?

Advertisements

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
hold on there for a sec mate; i just took out the HD and viA USB I just stuck it into my desktop which I'm communicating with you now and as I suspected it doesn't appear (the LP HD) on my computer! any suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you can do a windows repair with someone elses xp cd (legally because you're not reinstalling..you're just fixing) as long as it's the same version

@home

@home

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
ok thanks or that tip..since my LP HD is not recognised for whatever reason(s) and I can't be bothered to waste anymore time since I've been here before I'm just going to do a reinstall, I'l keep you guys informed if a miracle happens on the way, wish me luck and thanks for you help. I think I may stay on this forum

many thanks once again, @home

edited: This device cannot start. (Code 10)

thats the error on the LP HD when connecting to my desktop via usb it s Hitachi HD with how many pins I don' know

Edited by @home, 28 March 2006 - 08:59 AM.