Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wake on LAN

• Please log in to reply

gowri sankar

gowri sankar

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:whistling: can i have a breif knowledge about operating a system from a remote area even through wide area networking

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
eh? what exactly are you wanting to do...

i assume you're wanting some form of remote pc connection...right..but what are you wanting to do with it...and decrbe the connections

chbrules

chbrules

• Pip
  • 5 posts
This is two questions in one. You're either looking for a WOL (Wake on LAN) solution, or a remote desktop solution, or both.

Windows XP and up have Remote Desktop built into the systems. You have to enable it on the client machine under control panel -> system -> remote -> allow -> add users ->and an account with a password.

Then you can go under start->programs->accessories->communications->remote desktop. Type the IP of the server in, configure the settings how you want, then connect. The login screen will come up and log you in. The drawback is you cannot interact with the current user's sesession, but you can grant full access to the system as if you were sitting right there on it.

As for WOL, I'm not entirely sure on support for that. Usually there's a BIOS setting or a special cable that goes from the NIC to the motherboard for it to happen. I'm not sure if you need some special programmed EPROM for it to all happen (I've never got it working before), but it's possible.

If you're behind a firewall and want to use remote desktop, you'll want to forward port 3389 to the system you want to remote desktop into. Though you can't do WOL behind a firewall. (I believe)

Edited by chbrules, 31 March 2006 - 06:19 AM.