Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Bios not recognizing drives

• Please log in to reply

jpc3

jpc3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I'm building my first computer and having many issues... I'm at the point where I have finally been able to post bios and it says that I have neither a hard drive nor a cd rom drive recognized; although, it does recognize a floppy disk drive that I have. I am baffled as to why this is considering that I have checked and replaced all of the IDE cables and jumpers.

I have:
Motherboard: Asus A8R-MVP
Hard Drive: Maxtor 300GB
DVD Drive: NEC ND-3540A
CPU: Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 3500+
RAM: 1GB DDR
Power Supply: ATX 500W

Thank you so much to anyone that can help. :whistling:

Edited by jpc3, 29 March 2006 - 08:33 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
We need more information. Is the HD IDE or SATA. Have you checked the jumper on the hd? Is the cable plugged into the primary ide connection? Is both the hd and cdrom drive jumpered as master? If so set the cdrom jumper to slave. This sounds like you just have the hardware not set up properly. Bios should see the drives even if they are not formatted. Check to see what is disabled in the bios.

SRX660

jpc3

jpc3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The drives are IDE and are both connected to master. The HD is on the primary IDE and the CDROM is on the secondary IDE. I have checked that both drive's jumpers are set to master. I was under the impression that this would work just the same. But I tried your configuration anyway with both drives on one IDE cable (the HD on the end and jumper set to master and the CD drive in the middle set to slave) and it still did not work. Thanks. :whistling: :blink:

Edited by jpc3, 03 April 2006 - 10:04 PM.

jpc3

jpc3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I still can't figure out what's going on..... I think that I have tried pretty much every combination to set up the drives. Thank you very much to anyone that could help...

Edited by jpc3, 03 April 2006 - 10:08 PM.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Can you check in the bios and see if there are any IDE controllers? The asus website says you have 2 ultraDMA 133 controllers. It may be they are disabled in the bios by default so you can boot from the SATA drives if they are connected.

SRX660

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
I have a similar problem with my asus A8N32slideluxe. BIOS didnt recognize dvd drive or floppy. Wrote asus support they said try a known good atapi device (cd,dvd,floppy drive). I raided a comp at work tried it again, still didnt recognize the cd drive. Floppy recognized but BIOS then didnt recognize the new rom(BIOS 1003) disk and would simply say remove floppy or media disk from drive A:/. Contacted ASUS support again, they agreed to RMA the board. Id say try a different cd, dvd, floppy drive. If that doesnt work write asus support and tell em what the problem is that you are having, make sure to tell them you tried known good drives and try to RMA it.
-Pete.