Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microsoft Excel question

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
There are times when I have to delete a row in an Excel file if one of the columns contains a certain word. Right now, I do a "Find all" and delete each row manually. Sometimes, there are over 200 rows that have to be deleted, so this can take some time. Is there anything in Excel that would allow me to automatically delete all rows that have a column containing a certain name? I was thinking there would be something like that under the replace command (i.e. if find X, delete Row), but I don't seem to see it.

Any help is appreciated,
thanks,
mike.

Advertisements

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi diggeryo,

An easy solution is to use the Autofilter feature.

Make sure that your columns contain column headers (Titles).
From the Data menu select Filter|Autofilter.
This will create little arrows for drop down lists of all the different data that is stored in each column. Simply select the data that is required for each row to be shown, and only those rows will be shown. You can also use the Custom option in the drop down list for displaying calculated values or selected words from the data in the cell.
Then just highlight all of those rows and delete them all in one easy step. :whistling:

This may not be the best explanation on how to do this, so create a test worksheet and try it for yourself.

This can also be done using a macro to automatically to find the filtered criteria and delete the rows.

HTH
Octagonal

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
Hey Octagonal,

I just wanted to thank you. I tried your suggestion on a file I had to manipulate on Monday. And what took me an hour and a half then, I just got done in under 5 minutes.

thanks!

mike.

Octagonal

Octagonal

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Thank you. Glad that I could help you. :whistling: