Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not reboot, winnt\system32\services.exe error 12

• Please log in to reply

LynTay

LynTay

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Laptop crashed and keeps rebooting every 60 sec. Running Win 2000 pro Ser Pac 4 and can't access safe mode or anything else. Keeps giving the same message and rebooting every 60 sec.

Message is:
The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM.

The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will shut down and restart.

There has been nothing installed, Bear Share is NOT on the computer as one of MS fixes has to do with it.

I have attempted to go into Safe Mode and edit the registry according to Microsofts resoulution, however the machine continues to shut down and restart.
Any ideas on how to on how to stop the machine from restarting long enough to let me in would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Lyn

Edited by LynTay, 29 March 2006 - 06:18 AM.

Advertisements

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
Found this on the Microsoft website, may help you out

http://support.micro...Product=win2000

Copy and past that in your Browser

Edited by Immortalarena, 29 March 2006 - 11:31 AM.

LynTay

LynTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for the reply, however the link doesn't work.
:whistling:

LynTay

LynTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Does anyone have a clue? I have attempted everything to get pas this shutdown to no avail. Keeps rebooting before you can get into Safe Mode or any other mode.

Any help would be appreciated, can't do the MS fix or any other until I can access the computer.
Thanks,
Lyn

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, first of all do you have a copy of windows 2000, not a restore disk, because if you place it into your computer and then follow the steps given, you will be able to repair windows; however, in doing so you will have to redownload the service packs.

It is roughly the same process for XP as 2000

link;

http://www.techspot..../topic8356.html

ah, I could kick myself, I know we have the same thread advice link here on this site too but cannot find it.

Edited by fleamailman, 31 March 2006 - 05:29 PM.

LynTay

LynTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I do have my hard copy of Win 2000, was afraid it would reformat the whole thing if I used it and loose the info. But will try that and see.....unfortunately my emergency disk was lost in our house fire and I never made another one.

Thanks will try this tomorrow and see if it works.
Lyn

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
No, and I am trying to find out from admin here, I believe win 2000 has a repair meaning that while the system is reinstalled your data is not lost, or that site link which I gave you has missinformation and I will get on their backs polightly telling them so.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Hi, I am getting conflicting info here, I will say no more but leave you with another link on this subject, again saying that one can repair with the win 2000 cd(without losing data), thank you for your question and sorry for my inadiquate reply.

http://pcworld.about...156id111652.htm

macten

macten

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 638 posts
Just to make sure: are you pressing F8 every 1.5 seconds or so to get into safe mode as the pc boots up? Some times F8 won't work but F5 will. What's the last thing you see on the screen before it reboots?

LynTay

LynTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
:whistling: Yahoooo....ok it worked by going into the BIOS changing to boot from CD and doing a re-install of Win 2000. Took some doing as I lost my product key in the fire (cd's made it out by no paperwork), but was able to retrieve it using another computer. All of my files are there, need to update some drivers and find the trayapp file from my hp disc where ever that may be.

Thanks all....I knew someone would have a fix for me.
Lyn

OH - It was Fleamailmans fix and link that did it....had not read the lastest post before I dove in after midnight and this am. Just wanted to add that and none of my info is lost - which is a good thing. THANKS

Edited by LynTay, 01 April 2006 - 11:41 AM.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Happy for us both then, no one will believe you here though :-)

OK lets try and see if this works for your product key, and for your office key, not sure because once more we face windows 2000 and not XP

download belaric adviser

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Install and appropreate prayers then

LynTay

LynTay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Believe me, on that laaptop as we speak.....updating all the Windows patches, fixes etc.

I already downloaded Belarc on all 3 computers, printed out all the info and put it in the firebox for safekeeping...lol. Hard lesson learned from our house fire, at least the dishwasher cleaned all my disc and didn't have to replace those...:whistling:

Thanks again, maybe this time tomorrow all patches, fixes etc will be downloaded.