Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not Blue Screen of Death But it is Blue

• Please log in to reply

ladysmile2

ladysmile2

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was recently on the internet and my computer hesitated. I don't think I picked up a virus. I had to turn my computer off but it would not go past the blue Microsoft screen when I rebooted. There is no data or gibberish on the screen which leads me to believe that this is not the blue screen of death. I tried to go into safe mode and go back to last known configuration. It didn't work. I don't know what to do. I know my basic computer stuff but am not sure if you tell me something really techie that I will know what you mean. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :whistling:

Advertisements

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
So you can't get past the screen that says "Loading your Personal Settings" Or you get to the welcome screen and try to log on and then the system freezes?
If you get to the Welcome Screen and see the accounts, before trying to log on use Ctrl+Alt+Delete and a you will get the other method of logging on.
If you have Windows Media Center Edition Simply Type Administrator and you will go into the Hidden Administrator Account. Home will not allow this and Professional will, but Professional requires the password you specified the first time you loaded the OS.
If you can get into the OS I think you should try and Scan for Malware and Virus'
go Here: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html for that topic.
If you cannot get to those points at all it is recomended to check the BIOS and make sure the Hard Drive with the Operating system is still set to the Default Drive.

Hope this Helps

ladysmile2

ladysmile2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I don't know what BIOS is or how to get to it :whistling:
I do appreciate your reply.

Immortalarena

Immortalarena

• PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
http://www.michaelst...anufacturer.htm

That site can show you how to access the BIOS on a computer, I think it covers most computers.

On e in the BIOS be careful to only change something if you know what it is you are changing.

Find something that looks like Boot Sequence, or Boot Menu. Check and make sure it looks at the Hard Drive with Windows on it first. Usually something like HD 1 or HardDrive1 and not some other drive. The Floppy drive may be before your Hard Drive.

If that does not work and you still cannot get into Windows, Please get your Windows XP CD and try a XP Repair. To do this you will need the system to load the CD before the Hard Drive By Modifying the BIOS to look at the CD Drive First. If it does not load the Windows CD you will need to look into the fact that your Hard Drive Has gone bad and it may need to be replaced.

For the Repair of Windows I will direct you to the Geekstogo Topic which discusses this in depth.

http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

I hope that this is helpfull to you and that you may find the solution to the problem. Hopefully it isn't your Hard Drive.