Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It's either Wnidows or Nero Software

• Please log in to reply

chev722000

chev722000

• Pip
  • 3 posts
:D <_< :D

Made a mistake by installing the driver off my NeroCD to get my {E:} drive to work. Now my drives (D:\{Primary} & E:\{Secondary})are stuck in MS-DOS mode {very, very slow}. I've disconnected both drives and rebooted, she boots up just fine. But reboot with either my CD-ROM {D:} or my CD-RW {E:} connected, I'm back in DOS.They are "USING A MS-DOS Compatibility Mode File System".It seems like a hour{2-3min.}, than none of my drives will work.Boot up with my CD-ROM plugged in then my {A:}floppy and {D:}CD-ROM are in "MS-DOS Comp."
I can boot up using a start up floppy, but not sure of what to do there.
I'm running;
Windiws 98 SE
Systemax System
550Megahertz AMD K6 w\3DNow
128Mega. installed memory
{D:\} CD-Rom; ATAPI CD-R\RW (master)
{E:\} Sony CD-RW CRX230E (slave)
PLEASE, I really could use some help, it's the wife's computer and I think if I can't fix this, she'll do some bad things to me, LOL
But, I really could use the help, THANKS

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome chev722000 <_<

Sounds like you may have more than one CD burning program installed on your system. We've noticed this has been causing a lot of problems lately. Try uninstalling all CD burning programs from your system, and then choose one to reinstall.

chev722000

chev722000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, the wife ended up in the hospital after one of those 911 calls. Things seem to be getting back to normal now.
Everything having to do with the recording software has been uninstalled. Can't get NOTHING off the CD's. Like I said, with neither (CD-ROM or CD-RW) drive hooked up she boots up fine, but hook one of the two up, she takes for ever to fire up. And no matter what you do, it will not play a CD. I tried my windows Driver Resourse CD-ROM to over write maybe the drive that I installed, can't get the CD-ROM player going. Or my Windows 98 SE CD to try to replace any files or drives. Thought I could find a bad file or drive and over write it. No luck.
Still stuck in MS-DOS Compatibility mode. Under My Computer\ System Properties\ Proformance:
MEMORY: normal
SYSTEM RESOURSES: normal
FILE SYSTEM: MS-DOS Compatibility Mode File System
VITUAL MEMORY: MS-DOS Compatibility Mode File System
But the FILE SYSTEM and the VITUAL MEMORY are normal with the drives disconnected 32bit, I think. hope this helps some.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Hope all is well with your wife. Try removing all your CD-roms from the device manager, and let the hardware wizard reinstall them on the next reboot.

chev722000

chev722000

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Things around here are slowing returning to normal(what ever that is) and thanks for the well wishes. She's ok.
With no drives , she boots up fine. But, now it's booting up fine with both (D:[CD-ROM] & (E:[CD-RW]) but only sees the D:. I get this on my SYSTEM PROPERTIES/PREFORMANCE:
MEMORY: 128 MB of RAM
SYSTEM RECOURSES: 86% free
FILE SYSTEM: Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility
VITUAL MEMORY: MS-DOS compatibility
DISK COMPRESSION: not installed (where normally I'm set at 32 bit)

(in the box below is)
compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system prefprmance
Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility-mode file system -(my floppy)
Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility-mode file system

There's no CD-ROM in the divce manager with both disconnected .On my divce manger with no CD-ROM & CD-RW hooked up I get:
CD-ROM controller
sony proprietaryCD-ROM controller
DISK DRIVES
Generic NEC Floppy Disk
Maxtor 5 1023H2
DISPLAY
and so on. But with them connected I get:
CD-ROM controller
sony proprietaryCD-ROM controller
CD-ROM
[CD-ROM DRIVE]
Sony CD-RW CRX230E
and so on.
Tried to up date the drivers now that atleast one of them is seen, no luck.
Hope more of this info. will help, I really need it, THANKS

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
How do you have the drives cabled?

You should have the CD/RW as the master on the end of the cable, and the CD as the slave on the middle jumper. You hard drive should be the master on it's own IDE channel.