Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Install on Gateway 2000 (Circa 1997)

• Please log in to reply

bobkristoff

bobkristoff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:whistling:
To all you Gurus out there;

I am trying to install XP on a 1997 Gateway 2000 Computer that now has 98SE on it. About 1/2 thru the install I get a message to the effect that XP Install can go no further. I have tried numerous times to get past this point, but with no success. I am an experienced user and have installed XP many times, but never had this problem.

Does anyone have an idea as to why this is happening? Can this be solved without new hardware?

Thanks for your help
Bob
:blink:

Advertisements

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Holy cow ! Your computer is probably too old to support XP properly. Usually desktop boxes that are the ATX style are advanced enough to support XP. Also, the processor should be at least 500MHz and have at least 256MB of memory. Anything less will run XP too slowly to be of any use.

Edited by WinCrazy, 29 March 2006 - 10:18 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.microsoft...on/sysreqs.mspx -minimum reqs for pro

http://www.microsoft...on/sysreqs.mspx - minimum reqs for home

USUALLY...with an xp install cd...if you put the cd in while logged into windows it has an actual requirements checker (i'm pretty sure anyway)..that will rate your system and tell you if it's compatible or not

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

I am an experienced user and have installed XP many times, but never had this problem.

Then why are you trying to install such a new operating system on such an old computer? Generally, its running Windows 98 for a reason - because it can't cope with anything newer. You don't put a Ferrari engine in the back of a Mini.

Can this be solved without new hardware?

What is this computer used for? Forgive me, but what's so cool about XP that you have to have it on this older system?

WinCrazy

WinCrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
Now, wait just a minute ! I have sucessfully installed XP Pro/Home on many machines that came with 98/98SE. Its not the OS that it came with from the factory thats determines whether you could/should install XP, but the hardware's speed. Again, the processor should be at least 500 MHz and the memory should be at least 256MB. MS's "minimum requirements" are ridiculous and unrealistic, as the minimum is far too low for an acceptable result.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna agree with you there wincrazy....the minimum requirements for xp are just that...MINIMUM requirements...and i wouldn't run xp on ANY machine that just meets those requirements....BUT we're talking functionality and ability here...IF your system meets all the minimum requirements for the OS....and you still have problems installing it...then there's something wrong with the machine...

enew2006

enew2006

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I cannot agree with some of the things I am seeing here. I have a 300 Mhz intel Celeron processor and 352 MB RAM and my system runs XP great as long as I get rid of all the visual crap... As for the original problem that was posted here... How far does the installation make it? Is there any kind of system message/error before it quits, or does it just freeze?
If it freezes I would have to say there is a hardware conflict or failing hardware. First thing you need to do is run fdisk. Then Format. I recommend that you delete all partitions on your harddrive before formatting and I recommend you use dos to do this. If you do not know how to do this then I suggest you go to http://www.Bootdisk.com

I hope you figure this out

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
enew, you are certainly entitled to post your advice. But please keep in mind that we do not recommend Formatting entire systems here unless there are no other options. We prefer to help the user fix their problems, and be able to keep all their data intact. :whistling:

enew2006

enew2006

• Pip
  • 3 posts
wow dude...the staff on this site do not even know what to do in a given situation... this guy here is trying to boot his computer with a fresh OS... Therefor he needs to do a low level format... Did you not read the original message here? :whistling: :blink: :help: :) :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi bobkristoff...

Installing Windows XP on a machine this old is bound to lead to problems. I'd be willing to bet that some of the hardware is not compatable with XP and is stalling the installation. A laptop will be particularly vulnerable to this as the hardware is so proprietory. You may be able to solve the problem with a BIOS upgrade, but with a machine this old, there are no guarantees.

Always check the Microsoft Hardware/Software Compatibility List before installing XP... :whistling:

As a side note...A low level format will not help a hardware compatibility issue

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 April 2006 - 01:51 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

wow dude...the staff on this site do not even know what to do in a given situation... this guy here is trying to boot his computer with a fresh OS... Therefor he needs to do a low level format... Did you not read the original message here?

we're all human enew...sometimes people misread things...get over it...

i think you'll also notice that the original poster has yet to respond to whether or not the system even meets the minimum requirements (which is probably the issue here...irrespective of a format or not)....also...being that the user claim's to be experienced in installing xp...we (at least i) would assume that they know that...ALSO...you do not neccessarily always have to do a full format...what if the user is doing an upgrade from 98 to xp? you don't format then...)...next time you notice faulty advice...or someone making a mistake....at least be polite when you attempt to correct them...