Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New System Problems

• Please log in to reply

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
i just built a new system and ive been having some problems. At first i the computer would randomly freeze, everything woul lock up, mouse would stop moving, music would stop, everything. I would restart the computer and everything would be fine. Then 2 days ago when i was play NFSU2, my system completely crashed. The screen went black, fans shut off, it was as if the power had been turned off. I opened up the case and everything seemed to be fine except the power supply was very hot. Now it does not turn on at all. Sometimes if i turn the switch on the PSU and then back again, then press the power on button, i get a very short flash of ligh from the led's on the fans, but no spinning or anything at all. My guess is that either the power supply didnt havent power (its a 450 watt PSU) or something with the CPU, i never applied thermal paste on it because i never got around to buying it. here are the specs of my system if they would help in finding the problem

Intel 3.2 Ghz P4 with HT
Asrock 775 Dual 880 pro
1 Gig DDR 2
Seagate 300 Gig Harddrive
Asus Nvidia Gefore 6800 GT
Dual DVD burner drives
Xion - Xion II Case

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It sounds like your power supply has died. Just because it is rated at 450 watts does not mean really mean much. You can get by with them sometimes but usaully there are problems with the cheaper PS's. I've had a thermotake 420 watt PS boot up a computer that a 550 watt cheapie PS would'nt. If your going to buy a new PS get a good one like a seasonic, Enermax, and even some of the middle range models like the Antec, P C Power and Cooling, Wintech, and FSP/SPI.

http://jonnyguru.com...ethebrands.html

I would not run the cpu without thermal paste. I tried once and it posted at idle at 67° C and opening one program caused it to go to 89° C. I shut that puter down in a hurry. With paste put on temps run at 36°C idle and up to 48° C running 4 or more programs opened. Thats a big difference and you are taking a chance of burning up not only the cpu, but the MB also. I don't think i could afford too many $250 mistakes like that.

SRX660

CAUTION5697

CAUTION5697

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thanks for the recommendations for the companies but im still having a hard time picking something out. Im not sure how many watts to go for since my last one was 450 and it still burned out. Do you think there are any PSUs from Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com or any other internet site that you would recommend. my price range is under $50 since ive already spent so much on this computer

Edited by CAUTION5697, 01 April 2006 - 10:08 PM.