Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firefox problem

• Please log in to reply

binsch

binsch

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
hey

a couple of weeks ago i downloaded firetune and configured firefox to the fastest setting. The problem is that i forgot to make a backup. since then everytime i click on a link it says that it cant find the server and when i click it again it works. now i tried uninstalling and reinstalling firefox but it must save the settings. i love firefox and would like to continue using it but this is starting to get annoying.

thanks a lot
Ben

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
to erase your own settings, you must delete your profile and have firefox make a new one for you:

1. open up my computer, type %appdata% in the location bar, with the percentage signs
2. this takes you to the applications data folder, in which you will find a subfolder named mozilla
3. navigate to the profiles subfolder. You will find a folder with a bunch of numbers: xxxxxxx.default
4. delete this folder. It will delete all your settings and all your bookmarks and extensions!
5. open up firefox and it'll make a new profile for you

Hopefully this will undo anything you did with firetune. It seems like a good program, I'm gonna go get it now :whistling:

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
hey where is the location bar i open my comp but dont see a location bar

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
The Thef0rce if I may...

The Location Bar is the Address Bar. Once you open "My Computer" you will have "My Computer" written in the address bar, erase it and type what Thef0rce precisly said( %appdata%)and follow his steps. You should be fine :whistling:

Alan :blink:

Edited by alandemartino, 29 March 2006 - 02:16 PM.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i did that but the screen looks like this. i have attached to this message what my screen looks like

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
I have also discovered that you can go to start, run, and just type %appdata% in the run box and it'll pop up. easy :whistling:

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
sorry here is the attachment

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I don't see any attachments :whistling: :blink:

PS: you can upload your image here and then post the link :help:

Alan

Edited by alandemartino, 29 March 2006 - 02:29 PM.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
sorry i zipped it now it works

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
You can try this:

Go START > RUN > type this: C:\Documents and Settings\XXXXXX\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

P.S. instead of XXXXXX in the above address enter exactly the name of your profile.The name of you profile can be found when you click the START button on the taskbar (its on top of the menu).

Alan

Edited by alandemartino, 29 March 2006 - 02:36 PM.

Advertisements

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
like I said above, %appdata% in the run box will do the trick. but that'll work too. I hate windows. it makes everything complicated.

Edited by Thef0rce, 29 March 2006 - 02:38 PM.

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
i deleted the folder and then tried to run firefox but it told me that a firefox was still in use or something so i restarted and tried again and it still said the same thing so i uninstalled and installed it and it still didnt work so then i restored the file from the recycle bin and it worked. but the settings are still the same

alandemartino

alandemartino

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
When you delete the folder make sure you don't have firefox running. Close all firefox windows and then delete. I think that was the problem, not sure though :whistling:

Alan

binsch

binsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
did that and this is what it said

firefox is already running, but is not responding. to pen a new window, you must first close the existing firefox process, or restart your system.

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
control alt del and you'll see the task manager. go to processes, see if you can find firefox.exe and click end process. click ok on the warning that pops up. check to see that firefox has indeed ended, then try again.