Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't restore deleted files

• Please log in to reply

vegasniceguy

vegasniceguy

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My PC became infected with surfsidekick 3 and other malware. I don't know if my Norton anti-virus somehow got turned off or what. However, that is not my main concern right now.

I used Spybot, CWShredder, and the Ewido Security Suite to remove the malware. While in Safe Mode, I deleted some icons on my desktop. I didn't realize one of those icons was not just a shortcut, but was an actual application, Treepadbiz, with several databases I had created over the past four years. I then used CCleaner to cleanse the system.

When I later went to open Treepad, I realized I had deleted the app and all its files. I tried using Norton go-back but apparently CCleaner also deleted and system restore points.

I have tried a product called Restoration to find the deleted Treepad files but with no luck.

Did CCleaner do such a good job that I will not be able to restore the files it deleted? This is four years of work with very little old backups to fall back upon.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Did you say yes to CCleaner to backup before deleting? If so look for something similar to cc_xxxxxxxx_xxxx.reg. It may be in My Documents. This is the saved backup file. I believe you right click on it then click Merge.

vegasniceguy

vegasniceguy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you for your reply, Whisky Man. No, I didn't check "make a backup" when I used CCleaner.

I'm looking into software that recovers deleted files. If anyone has any reccomendations or has used software to restore files, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Jim