Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pay for no wait?

• Please log in to reply

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I think it's great that the staff helps people at no charge. But I think you guys deserve some sort of payment other than donations. I suggest that you create a section where people can pay through paypal and receive help sooner than others who don't. That way you guys get well deserved payment and the people who really need help can get it immediately.

Advertisements

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not speaking for this site but I would imagine there would be a problem with income tax, how to value someones worth, and responcibility in mal practice, the definnition of a fully mended computer .

Tax, I think is self explanatory.
Worth, in who should be paid what, what would be the critiria, ect.,
Mal practice, would one open oneself to litigation.
Definnition, how to judge when the computer 100%(not just cleaned of malware)

Anyway, I am in debt to this site for the education and oppertunity it has given me in dealing with people's computers, I am also in debt to the clients too for showing me their problem and giving me their trust, dare I say that I even indebted to their problems for keeping me fit to deal with them should we be paying the malware makers for this then :- ) but I repeat that I am onlyl speaking for myself here.

[footnote: um, in reading my own post after it is posted here, I often share the readers view of I wonder what fleamailman is on about clarity and spelling not being his fortay]

Edited by fleamailman, 29 March 2006 - 03:12 AM.

Die4me

Die4me

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well it could be a small amount maybe 5 to 10 $. I don't think it would have to be taxed if it's a direct payment to someone's account. "Clean" could mean that the major problems get fixed, it doesn't have to be 100%. It'd just be nice to show some appreciation for those who are always helping others at their own expense. It is not like it would be obligatory, skeptics simply wouldn't participate.

Edited by Die4me, 29 March 2006 - 03:37 AM.

coachwife6

coachwife6

SuperStar

• Retired Staff
  • 11,413 posts
Thank you for your comments die4me. Suggestions on how to improve the site are always welcome. :whistling:

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
Not to be misunderstood, I appriciate your well intentioned sentiment here and look forward to sharing posts with you where I can.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
This is something that has been talked about before. The trend and demand are definitely there, you are correct. There are a lot of things to consider, however. We have to do what is best for our members and Staff at all times, so we tread very carefully when making any big changes.

We appreciate the suggestion. :whistling:

Kosmic Possum

Kosmic Possum

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I think one of the greatest things about this site is that it is people helping people for no monetary reward. If there was a fee, as usual, the have-nots would suffer. We all seem to lack patience these days. If each one would "teach one", the world would smarten up considerably. When I have needed help from this site it came very quickly. Geeks Rule. :whistling:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hi Kosmic Possum. Thanks for your additions to this thread. to be clear..this site will ALWAYS remain free. Even if at some point in the future we did decide to add a premium/paid service...it would be in addition to the free site. Our main priority always has been...and always WILL be...free help. :whistling:

Also..as to the teaching portion, we do have a free training program where people can train to become staff members here in the malware section. For more information, you (or anyone) can see THIS THREAD

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
this is an intersting concept but i think that in practice it might not work to well

such issues could be that other posts may become undervalued, i wouold be interested to see how it might work in practice

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

such issues could be that other posts may become undervalued, i wouold be interested to see how it might work in practice

I disagree. I can understand the concern, believe me. However, IF this ever came to happen, I assure you we would not allow any portion of our membership to become undervalued. We would work very hard to make sure that the core of the site...our free help to people who need it...always stayed the primary focus.

Besides, it's an "if". No one has ever said that GeeksToGo (or any other site like this) will have a paid service someday. It's just something that we've talked of in passing a couple of times...mainly when people such as yourselves bring up the idea. :whistling:

Max-T

Max-T

• PipPip
  • 50 posts

I disagree. I can understand the concern, believe me. However, IF this ever came to happen, I assure you we would not allow any portion of our membership to become undervalued. We would work very hard to make sure that the core of the site...our free help to people who need it...always stayed the primary focus.

Besides, it's an "if". No one has ever said that GeeksToGo (or any other site like this) will have a paid service someday. It's just something that we've talked of in passing a couple of times...mainly when people such as yourselves bring up the idea. :blink:

:whistling: thats goood to know.