Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Administrator Password Lost

• Please log in to reply

Cappo

Cappo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi All.
A friend of mine has Windows XP. Her son has put an administrator password in & forgot what it was.
My friend is now unable to access her computer without the password.
This problem is beyond me, other than reinstalling XP.
But she has important files on the PC & does'nt really want me to re install.
Is there a way of removing the password when it is unknown.
Any help apprtd.
Thnx :whistling:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is there another administrator account

Cappo

Cappo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No just admin and guest account

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Note If you have not created a password reset disk, and you have also forgotten the password for all user accounts, you cannot log on to your existing Windows installation for security reasons. This information applies to starting Windows XP typically, to safe mode, and to Recovery Console. In this case, you must perform a "clean" installation of Windows XP, re-create all user accounts, and then reinstall all your programs.

http://support.micro...kb/321305/en-us

I am waiting for clarification of a technical point, however, the above is the official view from Microsoft

I am unlikely to hear about the other thing until later today

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you tried logging on with the guest account

Cappo

Cappo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok!
thx 4 that.
I thought I was treading on thin ground with this one.
I will wait to see if yourself or anyone else comes up with a solution before I go ahead with clean install for her.
Much Apprtd.

Cappo

Cappo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have told her to try logging on with guest account.
And try to get her files backed up from there.
I have never had the problem so I dont know if Guest will be allowed into her files or not.
I will check myself when I go over there.
thx

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
do you know if the root 'administrator' account in windows was used, or if a password has just been added to a regular admin account?

I keep telling people this is how you recover your pass if you've done something stupid and gone and forgotten it, but they never believe me. I've done this several times, but there's certain conditions under which this will work. Most people, including myself, forget that there's another administrator account in windows that is normally hidden and has no password, unless you have chosen to password protect it during the install process.

1. Turn on the computer. Press and hold F8 as it is booting up
2. A menu will come up, choose the 'safe mode' option
3. Now when you're greeted by the blue login screen, if the conditions are right, you should see an extra account and its just called 'Administrator'
4. If this account does not ask for a password, you can login and use it to change your password to the normal admin account

This always works for me and I have to kick myself every time because I always forget to password protect that account, thereby compromising whatever illusion of security I had previously. lol. but its saved many a reinstall.

Cappo

Cappo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi
Will try that, I should have known, always forget about the admin in safe mode.
Will let you know if it works.
Thnx Apprtd All.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the admin account doesn't appear automatically in the list...press ctrl + alt +del and you should get the classic logon box...type administrator for the logon and....whatever the password is

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
If you do get into admin, and sometimes as pointed out before, it too is passworded, in case you don't know, it is the following

press: windows botton with r botton
type: control userpasswords2
make sure that the account you wish to change is highlighted
press: reset password
etc., etc.,

Anyway, I have no understanding of this kind of proceedure.

Cappo

Cappo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Thnx 4 the input. sounds ok.
ive tried that on my pc and it worked. so i will do it to my friends and let u all know.