Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Video Card Help Please!

• Please log in to reply

hayzee

hayzee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I need to upgrade my video card, but in opening up my computer, I only have PCI slots...uh oh. What is the BEST video card out there that I can run?
Specifically, I want to know if I can run any ATI Radeon cards (will a 9xxx series work?) or Nvidia gfocre cards (6xxx series work?)

Also, is there a diff in how like a NVIDIA gforce fx5500 card would work w/ PCI slots as compared to AGP or PCIe?

I currently have a compaq presario, s4100nx
Windows XP
768 ram
I believe my processor is an Intel Celeron w/ 2.5 ghz

Please Help! I have no idea what I'm doing!

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome go Geeks to Go. My findings on a gogle search for this computer show it has AGP video output. You can view the manuals for it at http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN
The main thing to make sure of is what type of video slot your motherboard has, and match the card accordingly. I suggest using google to help you decide what card is best. Personally, I like Nvidia, but that is just MY opinion.

hayzee

hayzee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, first, thank you soo much for the help!...but I'm still a bit confused....
I followed that link and poked around to find the product specifications & it says I have
Total expansion slots: Three PCI
Available slots: Two PCI
Video graphics (AGP): 845GL

....what does that mean?? I was under the impression that I could only use a pci card, because I only have pci slots...but then it says something about an agp.....I just don't get it (I have NO idea what I'm doing)....

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I've had a look at the specs and it says you have 3 PCI slots and only 2 PCI slots are available. The AGP refers to the onboard Intel graphics card.