Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SATA Driver problems

• Please log in to reply

tom_j86

tom_j86

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i have just bought a new 19" LCD monitor and i cant seem 2 boot using that screen have to load up windows with another screen and then clone 2 the LCD. I thought that re-installing the operating system would cure the problem, but the problem is my two HDD are SATA, and i have tried various things making SATA discs for the windows install using the motherboard cd rom but still no luck. Any ideas what could be causing this.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Hi Tom and welcome

I'm a little fuzzy on what you are telling us. Can you boot any PC when this LCD is attached? Or just this one computer?

I'm not sure what the sata disks and the monitor have to do with one another...or, are you saying that you wiped out Windows and now cannot reinstall it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
in other words, are these two separate issues ? You seem to think they are related by your post

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I think the problem he wants fixed is the SATA one. When I had to install WinXP on my last build, I needed to make a floppy with the SATA drivers since WinXP didn't have the drivers for it. The motherboard CD should have a folder for the SATA drivers on it, and you will need to copy those to a floppy. When you insert the WinXP CD to do an install it will ask you to press F3 to install SCSI or thrid party controllers. When you see that press F3. (I think it was F3, it's been a while.) The install program will then ask you for them and you can select the correct one from the floppy. Once the setup program finds the drivers, it continues as normal. What type of motherboard do you have?

But the original problem is that his 19 inch monitor isn't working correctly. He can boot with his old 17 inch and then plug in the 19 inch after windows is running and he can clone the smaller monitor to the bigger one. But he wants to either just use the 19 inch or have them both working, I'm not sure which. It would help to know what graphics card you have, and if you have installed the latest drivers.

Edited by fructose, 07 April 2006 - 10:38 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

press F3 to install SCSI or thrid party controllers...

its f6

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
I was close. :whistling:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
as for the other issue...the only thing that even remotely makes sense on the monitor issue is that the power supply is inadquate or failing...but even that does not make sense....

I ran into a PC recently that appeared to work, but only 1 of 10 boots did the PC actually display a signal on the monitor.

Swapping power supply out did the trick. The actual watts required to send a signal to the monitor is miniscule since the monitor has its own power supply, but perhaps this PC could not spare the extra watt when booting the LCD.

Dang odd