Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

when cleaning prefetch should i leave layout file?

• Please log in to reply

beautron

beautron

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
i used a batch file to clean my prefetch n rebuild it beofre, but it never seemed to rebuild it EVER. the folder remained blank for weeks, until i ran into other problems n imported an old reg backup to the registry, restoring everything. now it is packed full of shite. i want to clean it but will not use my batch file ...
del C:\Windows\prefetch\layout.ini
del C:\Windows\prefetch\*.pf
Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks
...it might be incorrect, and when i had used it my startup took twice as long, which should not b the case.
should i delete the prefetch files by hand, leaving the layout file r should i delete tht too?
r there some prefetch files that i should leave (some i dont recognise)?
thanks if u can help, micky b

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've seen references to doing both...from my understanding it's best to leave the layout as it's a bit more important than the rest (still not 100% sure why or what it does...but..)...try just modifying the batch to just delete the files..not the layout.ini