Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems using sound with webcam & Skype

• Please log in to reply

Alanaos

Alanaos

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi

I'm trying to talk to a friend over the net using my webcam. He keeps getting really bad feedback his end. I've swaped my camera so there's no fault there. I've done a sound test and I get the feedback too, lowering the volume doesn't seem to help. The interference comes and goes.

Any advice?

Alana.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is the mic built into the camera? or is it a seperate mic? have you tried moving it farther from your speakers? is the mic near any magnetic device (motors or speakers.....or some form of giant magneticaly actuated robot monkey droid that dances when you talk?)

Alanaos

Alanaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
The mic is built in on my camera. The other end has a built in mic and a seperate one.

Def no giant dancing robots here! lol!!!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...let's narrow this down to who's end is at fault...if your friend calls you....do you instantly get feedback? what if you call someone else...whatabout in sound recorder (start > programs > accessories > entertainment > sound recorder)

Alanaos

Alanaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Recording sound works fine. But a sound test comes up awful. Although sometimes during playback on video messages the sound goes, or you can hear it but with interfearence in the background.

Skype seems to get worse if other programs like MSN are running too.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
hmmm....once again...camera with mic...not near any speakers right? gonna sound weird but...either turn your speakrs off or mute them...then try a skype convo with the friend and see if they still get the feedback...
also...if you have the ability to do so...see if you can borrow a seperate mic for testing...

Alanaos

Alanaos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Def not near any speakers. Skype seems to be ok so long as nothing else is running. MSN is a nightmare. The sound is awful. I don't know anyone with a mic.

Recording sound offline seems fine. Only when I go online does there seem to be an issue... so far! lol