Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Clean Install Windows 98SE

• Please log in to reply

suzysunshine

suzysunshine

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have performed your tutorial of the Fresh Install of Windows 98. Have the following questions:

1) I was unable to do Step 13 on A:\\fdisk. Does that mean I haven't done a clean install completely? If so, what do I need to do next?

2) Using this tutorial to cover over hard drive, so I can sell the computer. The programs I put on the CP are still showing up, should they? Examples of this are spybot, adaware, etc. Will this adequately cover over information, such as, credit card numbers, checking accounts, etc? If not, what to I need to do, other than beat the hard drive to death with a hammer? :whistling:

Thank you very much for you time.

Suzysunshine

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you selling the PC with or without Windows?

suzysunshine

suzysunshine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
With Windows.

Suzy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping F8 until you get options, select command prompt only, type format c: then press enter, type Y to confirm and it will format the drive, when it says enter volume, press enter for none, if you are going to re-install straight away, insert the boot disk, then press ctrl + alt + delete keys to reboot

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can set it to boot from the CD ROM Drive and reboot with the 98 CD in and choose load from CD ROM to re-install if you want to forego the A Drive bit

suzysunshine

suzysunshine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith I got to the part where you said to insert the boot disk. What disk is this? I have tried Windows 98SE, Windows 98 Starts Here, blank CDROM, but do not have a boot disk. I get the following message "Invalid system disk, replace disk, and then press any key."
What now?

Thank you,
suzy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC and keep tapping the delete key until it enters set up, change the boot order to CD ROM then hard drive, press F10 to save, type Y to confirm, have the 98SE CD in the drive then press enter, look for load from CD ROM

suzysunshine

suzysunshine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
How do I boot the pc?

suzy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot = start maybe it's an anagram, sorry :whistling:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
http://en.wikipedia....ing#Boot_loader

The solution to the paradox involves using a special small program, called a bootstrap loader or boot loader. This program doesn't have the full functionality of an operating system, but is tailor-made to load enough other software for the operating system to start. Often, multiple-stage boot loaders are used, in which several small programs summon each other, until the last of them loads the operating system.

Advertisements

suzysunshine

suzysunshine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith I thought you meant to reboot, but I can't get out of Invalid System disk, replace disk, and then press any key. I am assuming I am stuck in DOS.

suzy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
suzysunshine...

Remove the cd abd press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot. You will probably need a Win98 Startup disk to do what you are trying to do. You can download one HERE. Save the file to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file and put a new floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create the startup disk to use to format and install Windows 98.

Let me know when you have created the disk and I'll walk you through the procedure.

wannabe1

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Provided the boot order is set to CD ROM then hard drive it should run from the CD

However, if you get a boot disk you can do it with that, though the boot order would need to be changed again

You would get invalid disk if there is a floppy in the drive or the boot order is incorrect

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

suzysunshine

suzysunshine

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Keith,

Which Windows 98SE bootable disk do I get.
Windows 98SE OEM Mirror 1, 2, or 3
Windows 98SE Custom Mirror 1,2, or 3?

Suzy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
98SE OEM Mirror 1 works