Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Whats the difference?

• Please log in to reply

clhenry

clhenry

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Whats the difference between a window based server "Hosting" and and a Linux based server "Hosting". Do they both work with any site? any limitations? Thanks

Advertisements

The Architect

The Architect

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Both Windows-based servers and Linux-based servers can host web content without limitations.

The basic (and the biggest!) difference is that one can set up a Linux server for FREE using Apache.

Aside from limitations imposed by ISP's regarding server setup (most will not allow you to do this if you have a residential connection, for example), it is entirely possible to download Linux (or install from a CD), and have a working server setup (after configuring the system, of course) without paying a single cent for any software - something not possible using the products provided by Mr. Gates' company!

In addition, support for Linux and Apache is available in spades.

clhenry

clhenry

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Architect. Its a little clear now. I have been googling and reading also.

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 667 posts
I personaly believe that Linux servers are more secure than a Windows based server.

If you don't mind patching your server every other day then a Windows server is your ticket.

Just my 2 centavos....

Edited by thenotch, 31 March 2006 - 09:05 AM.