Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dr Watson 32 postmortem debugger [resolved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Errant Exile

Errant Exile

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've followed the steps posted on how correct this Dr Watson 32 postmortem debugger thing, with no success. I then did some further researchn andf came across a suggestion to enter the following in command prompt: %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstui.exe, which lead to system restore. However after it was completed windows will not start, even in safe mode, and I'm afraid I've done more harm than good. I am quite inexperienced when it comes to the nitty gritty such as this with computers. Perhaps I've gone drastically astray in my repair atempt, forgive my ignorence. What ever suggestions you guys may have would be greately appreciated.

Thank You

Advertisements

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
hi sorry for the delay in response, we have been very busy here lately.

Please Click here!, and follow the recommendations in the guide.

If you're still having trouble, We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool, Hijack This. Follow the instructions in step five of this guide, and post your log as a new topic in the Hijack This forum. It will get a better response there from the people most qualified to analyze logs.

Most of what Hijack This lists lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

if you have already gotten your machine fixed, please respond and let us know.
Thanks

Errant Exile

Errant Exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey, thanks very much for responding. I have since reformatted my computer and managed to avoid bring afflited with the Dr. Watson postmortem debugger thusfar. I was wondering what precautions I could take to avoid this from occurring again. Once more, thanks for responding and I would just like to say I think its great that this site exists.

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
How do you prevent spyware from being installed again? We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use) Click Here.

Prevent the installation of ActiveX-based spyware, adware, browser hijackers, dialers, and other potentially unwanted pests.
Block spyware/tracking cookies in Internet Explorer and Mozilla/Firefox.
Restrict the actions of potentially dangerous sites in Internet Explorer.
Consumes no system resources.

Download, run, check for updates, download updates, select all, protect against checked. All done. Check for updates every couple of weeks. If you have any errors running the program like a missing file see the link at the bottom of the javacool page.

It's also very important to keep your system up to date to avoid unnecessary security risks. Click Here to make sure that you have the latest patches for Windows.

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine
And also see
So how did I get infected in the first place?

Errant Exile

Errant Exile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I installed the suggested programs and I hope they do the trick. Thanks for the advice.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
This topic has been resolved and is now closed. If they original poster has anymore problems and needs it reopened, please contact a staff member.