Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3.5 floppy problem

• Please log in to reply

changeling

changeling

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have 2 floppies, one created on windows 3.1, the other on windows 98 ( I think)
Running xp now. One disc won't read, it tells me it must be formatted BUT advises if I format it I will lose the data.
Second disc used for correpondence..I used to save EACH letter to the disc DAILY... One day it just seemed to die..can get nothing from it. The plastic is cracked (from overuse?)
Any suggestions on how I can reacquire the info on the discs and save to XP/burn a hard disc.
I will be replacing the mighty Dell soon and the new ones don't have ANY floppy drive.
As usual,
Thanks in advance
C

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

To be honest with you, your chances of recovery are fairly slim. Unfortunately, floppy disks are not very reliable media. If you use them at all, you must keep backups because they have a tendency to fail without warning.

One thing you could try is Bad Copy Pro :
http://www.jufsoft.c...ogle&kid=gc2301

This is a demo version & so I don't know how restricted it is. It may only find recoverable files but not actually recover them until you register it. But at least you would know they were recoverable.

Let me know how you get on

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah floppies are a real pain i only use them for emergenies and maintenance. With the price of USB flash drive these days i would get one of those, you can get a hundred floppies worth of storage for a tenner.

changeling

changeling

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks all!
I was lucky to have problems with only two of the original 20 floppies of correspondence.
I'll try that floppy recovery program and let you know how it works.
Even with hard discs I now make at least two copies of all documents/pictures AND have put everything on a memory stick.
C